Newbie old guy (62) needs serious help! [solved]

largegroh

ok, not altogether fine. here is the situation. If I boot straight into linux all is good. My wireless 3 button mouse with wheel works great. However, if i then re-boot into windows to do something, then back into linux the mouse goes bonkers. I can not place it on any point to click. It just bounces from top to bottom. only recourse is to manually shut off computer and re-boot straight into windows.

anyone have ideas on why and how to fix this?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing that would always work since that is basically what I am adoing when I manually shutdown from botched linux. However, I would like to see if I can fix some other way. I am posting this question on hardware forum also to see if the hardware guru's can come up with something.

If all else fails I can certainly do as you suggest. Just a pain to do it that way. Especially when I could go back and forth between windows and linux with no problem in 9.2 version. Of course there were other problems so maybe it tradeoff I must accept. :angry:

Next time in Linux, go to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and tell me what the mouse section looks like - for example, mine is like this

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse1"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

EndSection

(mine is a wired, optical Logitech mousemanM-BD53)

Kristi

I will do that as soon as I can get back in linux.

sigh

I changed my monitor resolution while I was waiting for the hardware guru's and then re-booted as requested. I now find myself right back to the problem stated a ways above concerning the boot taking me right into a console, asking for login(which I do) and then this :

[username@70-33-9-215~]$_

nothing works after that. warm boot, cold boot, makes no difference. I really don't want to re-install again. Am I not allowed to change config things like monitor resolution?

I am very disappointed. I thought I had it set. The mouse problem was a small problem but this is big. :wall:

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :wall:

Not a prob.

If username is you, type "kde".

If the user is "root", (this will edit inittab in /etc) do

cd /etc

vi inittab

arrow down about 10 lines to the line "id:3:initdefault:"

arrow over to the 3

type i this will put you in insert mode.

The delete key will delete the 3

typing 5 will add a 5

now it should look like id:5:initdefault:

hit ESC this gets you out of insert mode

type :wq and hit enter that will save it remember that : is shift :

type reboot or do atl-ctrl-del and you will come into user kde.

inittab controls where you go on a boot :cheesy:

Kristi

not happening.

did kde at prompt after typing login. stuff started on console screen. mostly about Xorg. ended with 'fatal server error: no screens available.

said to check /var/log/Xorg.0.log but since I can not get into linlux I think that is not possible. I can't believe we are not allowed to change configurations like screen resolution. I am off for a bit. Need to clear head and decide if I really want to re-install again. thx Kristi for trying to help.

video card = NIVIDA Geforce FX 5200

motherboard = ?? I don't think I have ever looked up anywhere what it is. Where might I find it without looking inside.

Did you put on the Nvidia driver?

Did you change anything in xorg.conf?

Did you change anything in modprobe.preload?

Edited by kristi

no. only thing i changed was the resolution of the monitor. from 1600x1200 to 1280x1024 74gh or whatever ity is for screen refresh

that apparently hosed X. You do not want to hose X bad bad bad.

I assume you changed the resolution in kde, yes?

EDIT reinstall. when you are reinstalling assure that you select the correct generic board (FX in your case, If you can, on the next screen, choose VENDOR and select your monitor. on the next screen select the res you want forever. click okay.

Before you change your res on Linux talk to someone here who knows a hell of a lot more about it than I d because you WILL find your self bopping around X and you will have to know how to change modules, what modules to change, and exactly what info to put where to get an allowable res.

Sorry about that.

Kristi

Edited by kristi