Newbie old guy (62) needs serious help! [solved]

largegroh

ok, progress maybe. I followed the advice as far as I could from the above post. I have the tar file of firefox in /home/largegroh/firefox.

I extracted it into the same folder. now i have the tar file and a mozilla file.

at this point i am lost again. i double clicked the mozilla file

and it has 62 items- 12 files(1.2 mb total) - 50 Directories

there is no installer to double click to get the install that I can find.

more than likely i am missing something again. will check back later for the guru's answer. i am slowly muddling through but do not seem to be getting smarter.

i thought i had it before but for the usr/X11R6/bin/xauth thingy.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can right click the desktop and click Create New/File/Link to Application.

The third tab has the options for setting where you installed Firefox. For the first tab, you can click the big icon, and then browse to the firefox/icons directory and choose one from here.

OK..Finally I have firefox installed. now to learn how to run it. would really like a shortcut if possible on desktop. if that is not possible in linllux then how do i run it manually?

great, nice.

for the shortcut, I can give you an approximative solution (I'm not under KDE ...):

- open a konqueror session

- go to the folder where you installed firefox

- find the file named 'firefox' (normally if you double-click on this file, firefox should be launched)

- drag & drop this icon on your desktop

- in the menu who appears, just choose the 'create a shortcut' option

- after that, you can customize the icon -> right click on the icon and click on the 'property' option in the menu -> click on the picture to change the icon or whatever else (name, description and others stuffs)

that is the way to do this.

perhaps another solution will be describe in a next post (thanks to the community ;) ...

good luck and enjoy now!

sigh.. apparently I was wrong. I can find firefox nowhere. I have used the find option and i get firefox installer but no firefox. no firefox in mozilla folder either.

when i ran t he installer firefox came up on the screen so i thought i had it. guess i was wrong. maybe i should just reinstall mandrake and start over.

Not really.

If you installed firefox as told and saw it in action, then it's there. Either in /home/username/firefox or /usr/share/firefox

However there is no harm in trying again. Unarchive the package in /home/username/firefox

click on firefox-install, install it, then the file FIREFOX drag to desktop and make it a shortcut like in Windows.

p.s. There is no need to reinstall whole OS because of a bad browser install.

sigh.. apparently I was wrong. I can find firefox nowhere. I have used the find option and i get firefox installer but no firefox. no firefox in mozilla folder either.

when i ran t he installer firefox came up on the screen so i thought i had it. guess i was wrong. maybe i should just reinstall mandrake and start over.

no ;)

Launch Konqueror. Go to the 'Tools' menu and choose the 'Find file ...' option.

Then search after 'firefox' from the '/' directory (look in '/', not only '/home/username/').

Firefox should be there ...

Edited by theo

ok. found it. now i have 2 copies. one in usr/share and one in home/largegroh/firefox/firefox-installer. i assume i should get rid of one of them. also can not seem to get the big icon for firefox to work wither. have the little wheel thing for link atm and it works but looks goofy. smile. see how quick we newbies get picky. lol :D

edit: oh if i need to get rid of one of the installs... how please?

edit again: appears that the one in usr/share does not work. won't come up when clicked.. trying other one again..this may decide which to get rid of for me. now the how though...

edit 3rd time: ok both do work. I would like, i think, to have foxfire in usr share since, i again think, that it would be available to other distros if and when i get them installed. so directions on how to get rid of the /home/largegroh/etc one would be great.

Edited by largegroh

ok. found it. now i have 2 copies. one in usr/share and one in home/largegroh/firefox/firefox-installer. i assume i should get rid of one of them. also can not seem to get the big icon for firefox to work wither. have the little wheel thing for link atm and it works but looks goofy. smile. see how quick we newbies get picky. lol :D

edit: oh if i need to get rid of one of the installs... how please?

edit again: appears that the one in usr/share does not work. won't come up when clicked.. trying other one again..this may decide which to get rid of for me. now the how though...

edit 3rd time: ok both do work. I would like, i think, to have foxfire in usr share since, i again think, that it would be available to other distros if and when i get them installed. so directions on how to get rid of the /home/largegroh/etc one would be great.

Jumping in here -

1 ) right click on toolbar (bottom thing) , click configure panel, click menues tab: make sure you have "find" and "terminal sessions" checked, and any other toys you would like to appear when you click MENU(bottom left) Underneath that click "show hidden files and leave at 30. Under that click "show the applications most frequently used" and set the number to 10 or whatever. Look around in here - this is your playground.

2 ) click MENU, System, Configuration, Configure your desktop. Look around in here - this is your playground (mostly)

3 ) click MENU, System, Configuration, Configure your Computer (THIS IS also called "MCC" by lots of users here. Click Preference/expert. Look around in here. Some damn powerful stuff here - not your playground but definitely your workbench!!!

4) firefox (by the by, I thought that came installed in 2005 and is found in MENU, internet, webbrowsers. That is the one at /usr/wherever.

5) firefox in your /home - rename the top folder to firefoxold or something (I use konqueror as file mgr) and see if the other firefox still works. it should because the variables are stored in /home/<user>/.mozilla etc (. means "hidden file" - turn on view, hidden files in konqueror to see them.)

6 ) Setup up konqueror1. Go to MENU internet webbrowsers and drag the konqueror iconot the tray. right click on it and choose properties. Change tab application, line command to say "kdesu konqueror". Click advanced options at bottom and check box run as another user and fill in "root" (don't use these quotes!!!). go back to the General tab, click on the icon and choose "action" and a nice big red x so you will remember that this is a root file mgr.

6a ) make the size and position of konqueror as you like, click window and choose "show navigation panel. Click settings and choose "Save view profile "web browsing": check both boxes at the bottom and click save. By the by, that little box in the upper right of Konqueror IS google. Same with firefox (unless you change them, of course)

repeat 6 and 6a but without the kdesu and root thing and you will have both a root and a non-root file mgr on your task tray.

Hope all that helps, but if you have questions, that's how we learn!!!

Kristi

Edited by kristi

thx Kristi. Yes all have been patient and helpful. as I have only had mandrake, or linux for that matter, up for less than a week there will be many more questions. lol

I was able to do all of what you posted except the internet/browser one. I have yet to find that one. I am using 9.2 so that is probably the problem.. some of your other things for me to do were not found in same place either..

reason for 9.2 is someone somewhere said there was a mouse problem with current version so I avoided it. Internet-browser must be somewhere on 9.2 but I have not been able to find it yet.

as to the firefoxold folder.. i can now delete this one, correct?

thx Kristi. Yes all have been patient and helpful. as I have only had mandrake, or linux for that matter, up for less than a week there will be many more questions. lol

I was able to do all of what you posted except the internet/browser one. I have yet to find that one. I am using 9.2 so that is probably the problem.. some of your other things for me to do were not found in same place either..

reason for 9.2 is someone somewhere said there was a mouse problem with current version so I avoided it. Internet-browser must be somewhere on 9.2 but I have not been able to find it yet.

as to the firefoxold folder.. i can now delete this one, correct?

Hi and welcome!

1 ) I'd wait a week before deleting that folder! B)

2) what kind of mouse do you have and I'll go back and check this whole thread - I'm using 2005 which was 10.2 so there will be some differences. I'd love to get you current because i think there's more folks that will be able to answer your questions, but let's go slowly. What mouse?

Kristi

while I am waiting for Kristi on the mouse question, here is another. I want to be able to see my linux files from windows and visa versa. I just dl'd the windows md5.exe from linux so it is in my hole/largegroh folder.

I want to be able to go into windows and 'see' it so I can move it to a windows folder or maybe just use it from windows.

at the moment i can not see any of my linux stuff from windows. all windows is on hd1 in NTFS and all linux is on hd2 in fat32 (i assume) all was set up with my mandrake 9.2 install.

Hopefully some of this makes sense to someone. :thanks:

You can not see Linux partitions from Windows, because they're in Linux filesystem (usually EXT3) not FAT32. However you can see FAT32 partitons from Linux and Windows and write files to them.

However as I've heard there are a few tools which enable to see EXT3 filesystems from Windows (special drivers), but I don't know more particulary. Hopefully some others will know.