update to mandriva through easy urpmi

photoworks

Fixed the problem with init error, had to edit rc.sysinit file, and make a few changes. Will post in my boot post, which is linked here:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?act=ST&f=9&t=25224

These are everything I experienced when removing devfsd and installing udev, as devfsd doesn't seem to be supported by updated kernels.

Note: my upgrade to LE2005 has been a success!

The only thing I had to do other than this, was fix XOrg by downloading the ATI drivers specific for this, and then compiling from the prompt, and configuring XOrg, and all was OK with the GUI after this. Oh, and install kernel 2.6.11 before I rebooted for the first time after doing the upgrade through urpmi.

Edited by ianw1974

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ian - one thing I should've checked earlier, actually, a good thing to do on any kind of update install is to run 'slocate rpmnew' and look at all the files that turn up. When MDV upgrades a package which contains files marked as 'configuration files that may be changed by the user', and those files have been changed from their original state, the new configuration files will not overwrite the old ones but will be created as <filename>.rpmsave. Sometimes the configuration file format changes, and the old config file that is preserved no longer works properly, so you have to migrate to the new one manually, preserving your changes from the old one. Some of your problems might relate to this kind of issue. (I do this on my own machines, which run cooker and are continually updated, every month or two).

I noticed when I used the urpmi in the gui, that it prompts me after for any rpmnew that it created, so I just let these go into place.

Today I just ran --auto-select --auto from the prompt, and was missing 500 progs that didn't update. Subsequently, all is cool now! :-)

Well, almost. Seems my graphics won't work now. I have Intel 82852/82855 on my laptop, and if I try and install the ones from Intel's website, tells me agpgart isn't compiled into the kernel (running 2.6.11-6).

If I run glxgears, I get this error:

Loading required GL library /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
Segmentation fault

So not sure what to do about this!!!

Edited by ianw1974

I did do that, although it seems all that is in order. I just can't install the Intel drivers, because it tells me the module isn't compiled into the kernel. I seem to be missing something.

ls -R gives me an agpgart.ko.gz

lsmod | grep agpgart gives agpgart pointing to intel_agp

So all that's in order! Perhaps missing agpgart.h or agpgart.o in usr/src/ where the kernel source is located.

I don't understand, since  i updated to mandriva 2005le, every time i log into the session, my internet connection does not work, i have to get into Mandrake Control center and chose reset network connection, From there, i do nothing, and then the connection turns on. Any idea what causes this and how to solve this issue ?

any chance of an advice concerning that network issue ? Help please.

What network card are you using?

What's the contents of nsswitch.conf and resolv.conf in /etc?

The only thing I can think of is that something is missing. What sources do you have set up for urpmi?

I have main, contrib, jpackage, plf-free, plf-nonfree, updates. Make sure nothing else is listed, then from the cli type the following:

urpmi --auto-select --auto

This will ensure that you have absolutely everything your system depends on to make sure nothing is out-of-date.

Then, ensure you have the kernel-2.6.11-6mdk installed. This will bring your kernel up-to-date also. You may wish to install the kernel-source to match this as well.

Report back what you find after the updating and rebooting? Also, press ESC on startup, to see if their are any errors posted here, and if so, please add your /var/boot.log so we can see what's happening.

Edited by ianw1974

As an additional note, LE2005 doesn't support devfsd, even more so when you update the kernel to 2.6.11-6mdk. This is easily resolvable though, but first you need to do this:

1. urpmi udev and reboot.

2. su and supply root password.

3. chkconfig --list udev

This will show whether udev is running, you need to look under runlevels 3 and 5 to make sure it's on.

4. At this point you can urpme devfsd to remove this.

5. Check this post for resolving any errors on bootup/shutdown.

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...&hl=boot+errors

This is what I had issues with when I updated to udev and removed devfsd, but your system will run better for it, and you'll get no errors on bootup/shutdown afterwards because of the lack of support for devfsd in updated versions.

What network card are you using?

What's the contents of nsswitch.conf and resolv.conf in /etc?

The only thing I can think of is that something is missing.  What sources do you have set up for urpmi?

I have main, contrib, jpackage, plf-free, plf-nonfree, updates.  Make sure nothing else is listed, then from the cli type the following:

urpmi --auto-select --auto

This will ensure that you have absolutely everything your system depends on to make sure nothing is out-of-date.

Then, ensure you have the kernel-2.6.11-6mdk installed.  This will bring your kernel up-to-date also.  You may wish to install the kernel-source to match this as well.

Report back what you find after the updating and rebooting?  Also, press ESC on startup, to see if their are any errors posted here, and if so, please add your /var/boot.log so we can see what's happening.

i did the updating exactly as you mentionned and this is after doing it that the problem appeared.

I have main, contrib, jpackage, updates (plf-free, plf-nonfree cannot be set as source). i have nothing else listed. i have the kernel-2.6.11-6mdk installed.

This is the card i have :network card : 3Com 3C920 In(tegrated Fast Ethernet).

I will try to to the other manipulation tonight when i come back home.

OK, let us know how you get on!

i tried to uninstall devfsd, it said unknown package, so i went to the Mandrake control center. i looked in package installed and i canot find it, so i checked to package to install and i found it, o i assume that it is not installed then.

now tonight when i turned on my computer amd logged into the session, the network was working.

It is really confusing.

:wall::wall::wall:

i was not able to find "/var/boot.log"

another recurrent problem, when i try to set the urpmi sources for plf, here is the message that i have "Unable to update medium :it will be automatically disabled. Errors retrieving failed : curl exited with 19 or signal 0. no hdlist file found for medium “plf” problem reading synthesis file of medium “plf”". i tried several times thhrough the last days since i updated to 2005 le, but every time i have the same problem.

Have you tried alternate mirrors in case it was unable to contact the one you had selected?

You may have to reinitialise your urpmi sources, as per the easyurpmi note towards the bottom of the page. Another option, just check in the KDE Software Media Manager, and see if there is anything existing for PLF. If so, can remove, and then see how you get on at selecting after that. I'm assuming you were able to add the other ones OK, and just problems with PLF?

I've had issues before with certain mirrors, and by just selecting another one I was OK.