update to mandriva through easy urpmi

photoworks

As I remember it hits up a seperate window. (Don't know about 10.2)

But that is a large pop-up that gets pretty annoying.

I meant a small window integrated in mcc just a few lines wide. Duno, just a thought.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm upgrading MDK 10.0 OE to MDV LE2005, and found that I've had to add all sources, as when I just had updates, it said I couldn't satisfy dependencies.

I added:

main

contrib

jpackage

updates

plf-free

plf-nonfree

I removed all other sources prior to the upgrade though, so that it doesn't pull anything from older unwanted sources.

Well, saying that, I'm still in the process of the upgrade! I only have 128Kbps broadband here, and 242MB to download, so it will be kept busy for a couple of hours if not more! (I estimate 50MB per hour, so will be about 2pm/3pm or so).

Good luck with the update! You'll need it.

The update from one version of MDK to another has been unclean for many people, i.e., it doesn't work good.

A clean install is always adviced.

Thanks! I hope it works!

Reason why I'm attempting this way is that I don't have access to a faster link, and therefore updating 242MB isn't that bad, compared to downloading 2GB of ISO media.

My major worries are that it's XFree86 with 10.0 and XOrg with the later versions. Hopefully, it'll sort itself out on reboot, and not attempt to run both at the same time!!

Ah, well, this afternoon will tell where I end up! It'll sure be fun anyway :P

Solarian, thanks for that! I'll make sure I get that then before I reboot for the first time.

If the updates haven't pulled it down by default, I'll pull it from software install, along with the kernel-source as well.

Once again :thanks:

Good luck with the update! You'll need it.

The update from one version of MDK to another has been unclean for many people, i.e., it doesn't work good.

A clean install is always adviced.

one question, if update from one version to another is always tricky, why do they offer this option at the first place ?

i always thought that an update would be better since it would avoid having to spend a nightmarish time to reset the parameters. But it proves wrong since after updating, we spend another nighmarish time trying to solve the problems and eventually a fresh install has to be done.

Have just finished downloading all the updates, am about 45 minutes ahead of my predicted time!

Have to see how the rest of the day pans out, to see if it will all be working straightaway, or whether I'll have to do some fixing!!!

:P I'm well happy. Just upgraded to LE2005 using the URPMI sources, and it works fine. Only had a couple of errors:

Mount usb file system mount: fs type usbdevfs not supported by kernel.

Issue with lm_sensors (so I removed it)

Issue with postfix (so I removed that too)

So the only one remaining is the one above about usbdevfs.

I installed udev, and removed devfsd, but get the errors still, so am assuming I need to edit the line that says usbdevfs and replace with usbfs. I just not sure where the file is!

ian: can you check how /etc/hotplug/usb.rc and /etc/rc.d/init.d/usb look? They seem to be the two files here, with /etc/rc.d/init.d/usb being the one that actually does the deed - on my system it contains this line:

action "Mount USB filesystem" mount -t usbfs -o devmode=0664,devgid=43 none /proc/bus/usb

Since this seems to be handled elsewhere, take the line out of your /etc/fstab entirely.

I checked the hotplug one, and this was fine, it had lines to check and run either usbfs or usbdevfs depending on what was available.

The one in rc.d/init.d wasn't. I edited the action line and changes to usbfs, and the error has now gone away.

However, since switching to udev and removing devfs, I also get this error, which I put in another post with all these errors to:

Unmounting initrd: umount /initrd device is busy

And depending on shutdown or reboot, the following:

/etc/rc6.d/S01halt (or S01reboot) line 62: initrd - readonly warning

Trying to figure out why this appears!!

I installed udev, and removed devfsd, but get the errors still, so am assuming I need to edit the line that says usbdevfs and replace with usbfs.  I just not sure where the file is!

I don't understand, since i updated to mandriva 2005le, every time i log into the session, my internet connection does not work, i have to get into Mandrake Control center and chose reset network connection, From there, i do nothing, and then the connection turns on. Any idea what causes this and how to solve this issue ?