I need something new to try!

So yeah, i've been pretty bored lately and i'm wanting to try something else. First i'll go through what i've tried so far.

Mandrake - Was a great distro to start with, but got bored of it.

Suse - HATED IT! Thought it was horrible.

Ubuntu - Loved it! and i still do, but i'm getting bored of it.

I've been messing around with linux for about a year now and i still consider myself a beginner, i wouldn't be able to install something like say Gentoo i'd be completely lost installing that. So i'm looking for something reasonable to install, i don't mind learning if it's a bit difficult but please nothing like Gentoo. x.x (or come over and install it for me *whistles*)

I'm only 17 years old, so it's important to be desktopy i think you know what i mean, it must also have gnome support. I <3 you guys. :lol:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arch rocks, give it a whirl, follow the install guide and you ought to be right.

If Arch is any trouble now, just wait a little bit till 0.5 of the Archie Live CD which will include a nice great pretty easy to use Hard disk installer (created by...moi)

Im 16 and have been using Arch for a year, so it hasnt been a problem here. The Arch LiveCD is aimed at being a full usable desktop on the livecd, but keeping it lean at the same time.

And im sure everyone here <3 you too :P :D

iphitus

You can also try programs, instead of trying distributions. It's amazing the number of things one can learn by making some things work!

For example:

Setup a mail server + IMAP + a mail folder for mail that is shared by all users + a SPAM filter. Then add a LDAP directory for storing contacts, and configure evolution, thunderbird, ... for using the contacts in the LDAP directory.

Just this took me quite a lot of time, when I was more of a newbie, and even now, I'm sure it would't be that fast I had to do it all over again (which I may have to do, because I have lost the LDAP part in a hard disk crash).

Yves.

Thanks a lot! I'm going to try and install Arch, it sounds a really great distro and i'm currently printing out the install guide, just incase. If for some reason Arch goes wrong and i just can't install it, i may try out frugalware, but for now i'm downloading Arch and see if i get it up and running. B)

I'll keep you updated. :)

Arch is really great - but just to correct you on a common miss-conception: Gentoo is not difficult to install or use. If you can read instructions than you can install Gentoo - it's really simple. I have a friend who is a total beginner and moved to Gentoo last week. He had one or two problems with his ATI card (but everyone does), other than that it was easy for him.

But I'm not advocating anything - by all means try out Arch.

I should never of attempted this, it's totally insane,i have no idea what to do. So it started off, i picked my partitions, installed the packages, kernel and the boot loader. I was honestly hoping it would just be as easy as rebooting and logging in, so it boots up and it hits me with some login screen? but of course it's the scary command line, i couldn't log in as any other user except root, so i'm logged in as root and i don't know what the heck im supposed to do now, i messed around with some stuff but no go. So what am i supposed to do next? If it involves editing a bunch of configs, you can forget it, arch aint for me then.

(I know it sounds like im just moaning, but i'm just a bit pissed off that's all)

Yes arch is going to require you to edit a bunch of config. But it's bette than having programs that just bloat up your system. I know that ( at least for me ) I had to edit a lot of files, but I never took me more than 1 day to get everything running. I stopped using arch because of some kernel/wireless problems that I was having, and the editing of files here and there just weren't cut out for me. Although I'm thinking about returning to arch is a few months or so.

As for the problems that you are having now, yes you are going to have to pretty much sorta set up your system from command line. If you are not comfortable with command line , then I would have to say that Arch may not be for you. The install guide should give you the info on what to do from your first boot. If I remeber correctly you have to set up an account and all sorts of snibble snobble. And first of all if you have a internet connection run " Pacman -Syu " which does your system magic. I love arch because it's freaking awesome pacman packaging system, it's one of the best that I have ever seen in my life.

Hope you find something that you like, I know how you feel. Ask ANYONE in here that I most of gone through 5 different distros the first month that I started to use Linux. It happeneds, once your system starts running good, and not a lot of problems are coming up, you get bored.

I suggest that you pick up something like web development, learning some program languages ( if you have the time ) or reading/creating some gimp stuff. I'm going to get started on that in a few weeks, just reading some gimp tuts and then creating these awesome pictures with it.

yeah, if you really feel bored, try to install the easisest linux distro you know, then make it more complicated, put on it a webserver, mail server, then try to secure it, run php and mysql on it, it does not require that you are a programmer, as long as you have the manuals, then if you dont have a domain, try those no-ip or dyndns for you to have a domain, then put link of your webserver here so we can visit it :)

Well i finally decided to install Debian unstable, and so far i love it. What i don't understand is why people choose Ubuntu over debian, when there isn't much difference. I always ran into problems installing certain packages in ubuntu, but they all work in debian weirdly, and i had some bug with firstarter in ubuntu too and yet it works fine in debian. I dunno but debian makes me feel as if i have more choice with my system. Hopefully gonna stick with this for a while, since i hear a Debian stable is coming out soon. I ran into a little problem, for some reason i can't increase my Screen Res past 800x600 any ideas?

well I finally decided to buy a mac :P

i hope you didn't buy a mini mac and try to connect it to a "standard" monitor (= no tft). if yes, you might experience some frustrating video-display. apple's vesa output is a horror and below the norm of any other computer on the market. and they ignore user-complaints....

but if you bought a g4 or g5... nice move. especially with the 30" cinerama display. :D