Blast! Would love a quick Walkthrough

kompact

Hello all. I have downloaded NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.run

Now it comes to the install process. I have read the FAQ on this but what I see on my screen differs from what was written over a year ago.

That said is someone willing to walk me through how to install this driver step by step? Once I do it once I will never have to ask again!

I have the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.run in my /home/wolf dir.

What I CAN do so far is open up a terminal, type init 3 which exits out of the X gui. From there I have no idea what to do. I assume I need to cd into the dir /home/wolf and then somehow run the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.run I dont even know how to do the cd command properly, bah!

Can someone walk me through step by step in doing this? I know it is time consuming for you to type it all out but it will be GREATLY appreciated. Thx! :D

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Edited by kompact

Oh well if you promise never to ask again:

1: make the package executable: NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.run Ricghtclick it, properties, acces and check executable.

2: kill X

3: login as root by typing su <enter> pasword <enter>

4: if the package is in /home/wolf type ./ (that is 'point' 'forward slash) 'NV <tab> (that will auto complete the package name) (./NV <tab>)

5: follow the instructions

6: type vi /etc/Xorg/xorg.conf

7: hit i for edit and change the line that says driver "nv" to driver "nvidia" under section device and under section module make sure it says Load "glx" # 3D layer. Hit esc and type :x (that is ':'and 'x")to save the file

8: exit from root by typing: exit

9 type: startx

10: good luck

Having a touch of trouble with this. Here is what happens:

1. Accept licence agreement.

2. Tells me "No precompiled kernal interface was found to match your kernal: would you like the installer to download one from ftp:''download/nvidia.com?"

3. I say "yes"

4. Tells me that no precompiled kernel was found on the nvidia site and tells me that the installer will need to compile a kernel.

5. The only option is to then choose "OK"

6. Tells me it is unable to find the kernel source tree for the currently running kernel.

7. Only option then is to say "OK"

8. ERROR: Installation has failed.

I am sure there is an easy fix for this but have no idea what it may be! Any ideas?

hey dude...

first check what kernel you are running. type

uname-r

you need to install the kernel-source for that kernel.

if you have a your urpmi setup type (as root)

urpmi kernel-source

if it gives you a choice of kernel source, choose the one that is correct for your kernel.

then go through the steps to run your nvdia installer.

Here is what I did - remember I am a nub and still learning all this jazz!

[wolf@localhost wolf]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost wolf]# uname -r
2.6.8.1-12mdk
[root@localhost wolf]# urpmi kernel -2.6.8.1-12mdk
Unknown option: 2
Unknown option: .
Unknown option: 6
Unknown option: 8
Unknown option: 1
Unknown option: 1
Everything already installed

I assume I messed up somewhere in there.

Really sorry to be such a pain the the backside about this. I did as you said above, it didn't give me a list but told me to insert CD3. Which I did, and it installed whetever it needed to then told me it was done.

Now when I go into the command line and type "urpmi kernel-source" it says that "Everything is Installed"

So, I exit x, run the nvidia drivers package and it gets a little farther then before but then comes to this error:

( I will paraphraze)

Unable to load the kernel module nvidia.o This is most likely because the kernel module was built using the wrong kernel source files ...

Does any of that makes sense to you gurus?

What was the name of the kernel file that was installed (rpm file). As devries said, this name does not match the kernel you are actually running.

Maybe you need to update your installation (to get a newer kernel source than that available on CD3).

Do you know how to get to the Mandrake Control Center (MCC)? From there choose "Software Management" and "Updates". This updating process will not work well without a broadband connection.

That is what I hought as well daniewicz so I did the MCC and installed every update avialable - roughly 800MB worth, no change though. I am in the process of d/l LE 2005 and will be installing it in the next day or so, hopefullly it will work then!

If not I will pester you guys some more - lucky you heh? lol

Thx for the help, I appreciate it.