rpmdrake

MoonChild

Do you wait a while before reboot?

No other method works, like:

alt-sysreq-R, alt-sysreq-S, alt-sysreq-E, alt-sysreq-U, alt-sysreq-B?

ctrl-alt-F1 to get another console?

ctrl-alt-backspace to kill x serve?

For some reason, I have found urpmi in a terminal to be a better method of installing packages. I don't even like Mandrake update. I thought rpmdrake worked better in 8.2

For some reason, I have found urpmi in a terminal to be a better method of installing packages. I don't even like Mandrake update. I thought rpmdrake worked better in 8.2

rpmdrake worked better in 8.2 imo, the gui package manager in 9.0 is a joke really.

Urpmi is much better especially when you use the "easy urpmi" setup from plf, it works so well and is so easy :D

http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/urpmiweb.php

I agree totally. rpmdrake freezes with me too. I preffer to use urpmi, because when you use urpmi, it also installs any dependencies automatically without any issues.

My only problem is that I dont have net access at home, so if i wanna do upgrading to mdk and stuff I have to bring my pc to the university, which gets tedious.

I hope urpmi rubs off on other distros.

I started using urpmi based on all the raves about it on this board, and for a while, it was great! I had a nice list of online media, and I would do this:

1. Download the rpm I wanted to install.

2. Type urpmi rpmname.rpm and it would install the dependencies, and then the rpm...usually.

For the week or so that urpmi was working, it was really freaking sweet.

Lately urpmi has been acting just like rpm... it gives me the list of dependencies, and does not offer to go get them.

Any ideas?

Your data base may be messed up, or your links are having a problem. I have seen some problems with the data base file in urpmi. So try rebuilding the data base.

I don't trust automation (thanks to microsoftbrains) so I really like to get the dependencies listed via urpmi, gather them in my install folder, and then install.

and AGAIN I say

go to

/var/lib/rpm

if there are any _db.xx files delete them, then

rpm --rebuilddb

rpm --initdb

and try again. This has always solved my urpmi probs. But then again, some don't find any _db.xx files and they're always there for me, everytime I use an rpm anything.

Also, what version of urpmi do you have?...did you get the MandrakeUpdate urpmi/gurpmi ect..?....could be your prob.

I have never found RPMDrake to be particularly reliable. Using urpmi or rpm -Uvh or -ivh depending on the circumstances from a terminal window or an F3 screen, I find the process to be painless. I download my rpms into a /home directory created for the purpose i.e. Updates or New so that in the event of a catastrophic failure requiring a reinstallation I don't lose them in the process. I also put /home on a different drive.

Counterspy

[root@localhost root]# urpmf --summary --description --size evolution

libqt3:description:Qt's revolutionary signal/slot mechanism provides true component

libevolution0:size:2077216

libevolution0:summary:Dynamic Libraries for Evolution

libevolution0:description:Evolution is the GNOME mailer, calendar, contact manager and

libevolution0:description:communications tool.  The tools which make up Evolution will

libevolution0:description:be tightly integrated with one another and act as a seamless

libevolution0:description:personal information-management tool.

libevolution0:description:

evolution:size:17878781

evolution:summary:Integrated GNOME mail client, calendar and address book.

evolution:description:Evolution is the GNOME mailer, calendar, contact manager and

evolution:description:communications tool.  The tools which make up Evolution will

evolution:description:be tightly integrated with one another and act as a seamless

libqt3-devel:description:Qt's revolutionary signal/slot mechanism provides true component

prelude:description: - The signature engine, designed to be completly generic and evolutionary.

libevolution0-devel:size:5127698

libevolution0-devel:summary:Libraries and include files for developing Evolution components

libevolution0-devel:description:Evolution is the GNOME mailer, calendar, contact manager and

libevolution0-devel:description:communications tool.  The tools which make up Evolution will

libevolution0-devel:description:be tightly integrated with one another and act as a seamless

libevolution0-devel:description:personal information-management tool.

libevolution0-devel:description:

libevolution0-devel:description:This package contains the files necessary to develop applications

evolution-pilot:size:1811657

evolution-pilot:summary:Evolution conduits for gnome-pilot

evolution-pilot:description:Evolution is the GNOME mailer, calendar, contact manager and

evolution-pilot:description:communications tool.  The tools which make up Evolution will

evolution-pilot:description:be tightly integrated with one another and act as a seamless

evolution-pilot:description:personal information-management tool.

evolution-pilot:description:

evolution-pilot:description:This package contains conduits needed by gnome-pilot to

surfraw:summary:Shell Users' Revolutionary Front Rage Against the Web

[root@localhost root]#

:wink: