Yet another reason I'm staying away from Red Hat...

DOlson

Redhat, despite their attitude with KDE, made it into the show news almost every day.

Well, just about everyone knows that bad news or controversial decision creates more news stories than good news or nothing is happening news. Among the United Linux news, most of the news comes from caldera or SuSE side, but rarely connectiva or Turbolinux (except its demise).

Anyway, what mandrake needs is IBM partnership. HP, ever since the great gamble of joining with Compaq is not exactly making newssplash in computer world. Heck, even Mandrake's partnership with wallmart.com is not exactly making stories, too. Every reviews that uses the Wallmart less than 500 dollars computers is reviewed using lindows instead of mandrake.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really. You have your lower scale models and then you have the premium models. You can chose from having a pentium 4, Celeron, Athlon, or Duron. You can get pc's with no opertaing system or with Lindows, Mandrake, and XP. I think the reason why the pc's are priced low is because one, it's made by an off-brand manufacture. Two, monitor is not included. All their pc's have a 1 year warrenty and tech support.

Guest defunct

I have one pc that I got in like 99' or late 99 possibly made by 'Protek" now that sounds like an offbrand to me but it was 13000 and 600mhz 64mb ATI video card, CD Read/Write/Record (burner), DVD Player, 17" monitor (good one not offbrand monitor), Interal crappy winmodem, Windows 98, 2 years full tech support, etc. I thought it was a high price to pay then which it was about 100 or 200 dollars high but anyways that was an offbrand I guess and still costed alot. I think they actually sell them cheaper if you have Linux on them.

The cheapest one from walmart is this one

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp...0%3A3944%3A3951

Now, This is a via C3 computer, the specs are not exactly top of the line (not even top of the line last year) but it makes a perfect workstation or server. I heard that the ViA C3 chip is so cool running, you only need a heatsink to keep it cool (that's right, no noisy fan). All we need is to junk lindows and put mandrake in there instead.

Hmm.. maybe I should send this link to my friend in Canada who is looking for a cheap computer. Any Canadian here knows how much this thing cost in Canadian dollar?

• 3 weeks later...

apparently a lot of people have not read why rh did this. It is not code that is proprietary. It is all graphics. They basically did this to make it easier to clone their distro, I put in a different rpm, and all the logos are automatically changed. Unless I am mistaken, a lot of this fuss is entirely unnecesary. But then again, maybe I am wrong. I just don't wanna get flamed.

I agree with Frew. I read the restrictions in Redhats site.

My understanding is as follows:

CD's 1 to 3 are completely OpenSource. You can copy and distribute copies of these CD's, however if you want to distirbute it for profit, you should remove all the Redhat Icons/Logo's and should not identify the product you are selling as Redhat or as being dervied from Redhat.

Fair enough. OpenSource and free does not mean that we have to be able to make money selling somebody elses software.

Use it, give it away, make a hundred copies if you want, Just don't charge for it. I don't see anything wrong. The only people who should make money sellign Redhat is Redhat.