Yet another reason I'm staying away from Red Hat...

DOlson

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is bad. Very bad. Sounds a little like M$ don't you think???

No. Sounds like SuSE.

No matter what, Red Hat CAN'T become the Microsoft of Linux. It CAN'T.

Others have written essays on it, so I won't waste my time (read: I'm lazy). Just have a little search on google or PCLO or something.

mandrakes free gpl version is a great service, i will continue to use mandrake cause of there dedication to making a great linux distro.

And will by it once it's availible in store here.

I could have gotten the 5cd's of redhat 8 at full adsl speed 0.5mbyte cause it's in the telecoms free fullrate download area but im not interested. They have debian though, hmm, nope it's fairly stable bleeding edge distro for me :!:

Guest defunct

I used Redhat 7.3 and didn't like it.. It basically felt just like Mandrake, except they don't have alot of Configuration programs like Mandrake Control Center, drakconf, etc. They have some similar but they suck and half the time weren't working correctly in 7.3, I couldn't find a forum like this, there forum on the main website was down so i was sent to a mailing list that basically spams your email box 24/7 with worthless junk. Nope, not redhat for me = I haven't tried SuSE but have a feeling I would like that better, I just don't want to pay that much money for it.

Well if they are not pulling a M$, then definatly a SUSE, but I think deep in their hearts, they want to be the M$ of Linux, but I agree that will never happen. I tried SUSE and didn't like it. Right now I am doing a little Libranet which I like. It has some really nice features, but Mandrake remains my primary and trusted distro!!!!

I tried SUSE 8.0. I found it slow and buggy. Some of the applications caused the xserver to crash, but they have one feature which is really nice and that's YAST. Very nice hardware recognition and software installer. The look of SUSE I just didn't like. I don't know what it stands for. Maybe it's really not an acronym for something.

What are you....?????

Do you not think, mdk will get rh users???

Did I say that? Of course they will. That's where most of Red Hat's ex-users are, I'm sure. And that will increase. Hopefully dramatically. :o

I see this as strictly a business decision in which Redhat has concluded that to gain on the desktop, they needed to do what they did. Texstar has compiled it for Mandrake so you can have a look at it. You had better get accustomed to more of these decisions from probably everyone in the market to make money, will be making similar decisions as they try to put their distro out front. Note that in the last Linux Expo, despite Mandrakesoft's "associations" with HP and others like AMD, they were not mentioned in the computer press even once. Redhat, despite their attitude with KDE, made it into the show news almost every day. Draw your own conclusions or maybe get ready for Debian.

Bluebeard.