mandrake----webcam & other hw

AleXxiO

ok..

1)i didn't find any drivers for waitec caddy06 webcam, is there the possibility to make it run in any way or not at all?

2)i don't know if my wireless lan drivers are installed, how can i know it if i have not any other wlan pc? how to see if mandrake has some internal peripheral not recognized?

alexxio: use the hardware tool to see if the system has recognised your wireless card; it's in the Control Centre. Alternatively, you could try configuring networking, and if it's recognised your card, you will be able to try and set it up (though obviously, if you have no local WLAN, it won't work).

As for the webcam, plug it in! If a desktop icon for it pops up, then it works. A surprising amount of webcams do work in Linux, and Mandrakelinux usually supports those pretty well. If you plug it in and nothing happens, it's probably not supported.

3)just cause i've already posted, i add another question:) I bought an extern usb mouse and it doesn't go!!and nor my touchpad anymore!!

probably just need to rerun the detection for X... it could be that your (I presume) laptop automatically disables the touchpad or prioritises the USB mouse when its plugged in and that this is software controlled.

the more info you give the better we can help... :D

As for the webcam, plug it in! If a desktop icon for it pops up, then it works. A surprising amount of webcams do work in Linux, and Mandrakelinux usually supports those pretty well. If you plug it in and nothing happens, it's probably not supported.

Hi Adam, Is there any place I can look for what webcams are supported in MDK? Or, a better question: What's a good cheap webcam that MDK will support?

tia! (and thanks again on the nvidia prob/solution!!!)

Kristi

kristi: not really. webcams are annoyingly hit-and-miss - lots of different models, sometimes you find different chips in the same model, and so forth - and i've never found a good comprehensive resource. MDK support isn't anything different from any other distro, really (it's a little better in a few ways), so if you find any mention of a webcam working under any distro, it'll probably work under MDK. It's usually just a Google Is Your Friend kinda thing, unfortunately. A Google search ought to show up some recommended buys, if you have any old ones lying around, you might as well just plug them in and see what happens, it's faster than looking it up and won't damage anything.

Thanks Adam. The cam I have is an Intel CS330 (Create and Share Delux)(ViewQuest Tech). When I was playing around with Xandros linux 2.6.9, I did get it to go with a "SPCA5xx driver I got from somewhere that was supposed to support a bunch of cameras, but the quality was very poor, at best - and maybe 1 frame every 2 seconds. :drum: I suppose I should try it again, but I'd rather find something that works with the 2.6.x kern. I have googled a ton on this subject - that was how I found the spca5xx driver. Oh, well - I'll keep looking!!!

Thanks!

Kristi

Edited by kristi