Australia tests Mandrake

devries

http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?...&tid=100008&p=9

An Australian magazine tested Linux distros, OS X and WinXP. This is what they said about Mandrake:

Mandrakesoft Mandrakelinux Discovery 10.0

Version 10.1 now available. Includes Kaffeine movie player software, but doesn't have a LiveCD.

$US50

www.mandrakesoft.com

System requirements: 90MHz CPU, 64MB RAM, 500MB hard drive

Support: FAQ, online help, forums, 30 day free standard web support, 1 month of free Standard Level Mandrakeclub membership and Mandrake Online Personal Solutions

Included software: KsCD, Totem, K3b, Kontact, Kopete, Konqueror, OpenOffice.org

Good

Good install manual

Good LiveCD

Good help files

Instant messenger program (Kopete) connects to several different clients

Bad

Hard to install other software

You need to install the help files separately

You need to install the games separately

Let me comment on one point: Hard to install other software......... I think the first screen a persons sees when he/she boots into Mandrake should be describing urpmi :)

darkelve, I believe that these distros do have and update button, I know for sure that Mandrake does even in the strip down version, as for Linspire it might be done through the Click and Run {Not Sure Though} but i figured Linspire can't be that Much different than Xandros both distro are made for the new Linux user and Xandros does there update through Xandros Network {kinda like click and run}...

by the way Gowator i agree with you One of Mandrake Strongest pionts is URPMI but it also very misunderstood... Mandrake has to explain in greater detail how URPMI can help enrich and make things less complicated when install programs and updates..

-ShadowChaser

I have read the complete article and it appears that the "testers" ????? didn't have a clue.

It has already been demolished by posters on the net as a disgrace for so called comparing stupidities. Don't worry about it, it is being shamed as we speak.

Cheers. John.

I have read the complete article and it appears that the "testers" ????? didn't have a clue.

It has already been demolished by posters on the net as a disgrace for so called comparing stupidities.  Don't worry about it, it is being shamed as we speak.

Cheers.                        John.

But does the site allow comments, so they can see it? And do they listen to the (rightful) criticism? That's what I wonder.

IMO, it is great they even picked this up, I believe their intentions certainly were good.

As to their understanding and method of testing however... :juggle::oops:

Right after just skimming the first page I notice two problems with this review.

1. They use older versions of Suse and Mandrake.

2. They use "limited editions" of Suse and Mandrake (Personal/Discovery Edition). A little research will show that those two editions are practically useless in showing the power of linux. Use powerpack / professional edition instead.

Because of this, I don't bother continuing after the first page