Limewire

Guest ump

As I now have a high speed connection I am lokking at downloading music and am looking into a good music/file share utility I read a little about Limewire any opinions?

Any suggestions on other tools?

ump

Limewire is the best, just make sure you have java installed before using it.

I used to use WinMX in windows, which was great. It has less people using it, but the interface, etc. is great. Limewire isn't AS good, but is the best you will find for Linux (as far as I am concerned).

I guess another ? is how secure are these utilitie sice they allow other user to eatablish a direct connection with your system.

Yes I am new to this whole share files online thing so please pardon dumb ?

ump

actually, most allow you to turn off file sharing so you aren't sharing files, just hunting around for them :)

also, they usually have one directory set as the share directory, and don't allow access to anything but that directory. just make sure the directory doesn't contain anything you wouldn't want them getting a hold of.

but, keep in mind, with ANY program, there's always the possibility of it having a security hole. you can't avoid this :-) unfortunately.

You can never be too safe. But peer-to-peer networks usually take care of security issues for you.

Limewire uses the Gnutella network (as far as I remember) and is pretty safe. EVERYTHING has security issues these days. I've never heard of anyone being attacked via Limewire though.

I guess another ? is how secure are these utilitie sice they allow other user to eatablish a direct connection with your system.

Yes I am new to this whole share files online thing so please pardon dumb ?

ump

Limewire or Lopster are the ones I've had the best success with. You can set them to share only one directory and its not possible for them to change out of that. But as tyme said any outside connection especially one such as this can be a security risk.

You know.. I think the glory days of napster and audiogalaxy is over. I can barely find the songs that I used to find easily with napster (old anime / japanese live action songs)..

Anyway, I tried limewire and gtk-gnutella once.. it's ok.. but I prefer usenet.

You know.. I think the glory days of napster and audiogalaxy is over. I can barely find the songs that I used to find easily with napster (old anime / japanese live action songs)..

Anyway, I tried limewire and gtk-gnutella once.. it's ok.. but I prefer usenet.

Songs? who needs songs? :wink:

I don't download songs i download tv shows that i like

Red Dwarf

Family Guy

Futurama - bender is cool

Startrek TNG & DS9

I don't like many tv shows, but what i like i really like.

And i already have a big cd collection, i'm not into this new stuff.

IRC...IRC...IRC

Too much hassle usually to get things off of IRC. You connect to a fserve, wait in line for way too long then either the server shuts off, you get disconnected, or theres nothing but junk on a ratio fserve.

It's much easier I find using apps like Limewire.

but I prefer usenet.

dm can you teach me how to get files using usenet. does this need a news server? i think only one news server exists in the philippines and they are not my isp. :(

i have been meaning to get some files (text-based games actually :mystismiles:) from a usenet archive but i still dont know how and i dont have the time to hunt around (i did for a moment but didnt understand much).

please, please, please , please? :(

ciao!

DragonMage

Thank you forgot all about usenet I use it for checking various Linux articles but I never thought about checking for music there. DUH!!!!!!!! :?

Thanks to everyone who replied

ump