Games: How and where?

3lade

I have never needed the game side of Linux because my only experience has been from work. But now I have MDK9 installed at home, (damn the Linux bug bites deep) and so felt like trying the games.

What do you run? Games 'made' for Linux or run them through emulators? If so how and what.

I am a big Operation Flashpoint fan so if anyone has this running through Linux let me know, cheers.

I mainly play:

Urban Terror www.urbanterror.org Quake3 mod

Unreal Tournament

Unreal Tournament 2003

RTCW

Tactical Ops

I know all fps

They all run natively.

Am hoping for NWN some time soon.

Also play:

Vegastrike

Ur Quan Masters - starcontrol 2 remake

Have a look a DOlson's games page

http://aslan.no-ip.com/~dana/mdkxp/?c=games

I play RTCW and Quake II on Linux. Both run natively. I have and old copy of Win98 which I use to play Windows games and run an apt which is not yet Linux compatible. I forgot, I use it to run Quicktime too.

I love OFP too. I don't think there is a Linux port or emulator for it right now.

Not too fond of wine since games usually run slower when using wine. So if you have an old copy of Windows lying around, maybe your best off dual booting.

Just about every thread contains this post... but... it must be said:

Check out DOlson's site for a comprehensive list of games for Linux, tips, tricks, etc. The site has a temp. url, check this out: http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=2053

If you have a GOOD reason for not having a windows partition on your machine (I don't out of principle) then check out WineX (www.transgaming.com).

I will get a lot of crap for directing you to that site, but it is a good emulator for playing windows games under Linux. Although I would only use it to play old games and, in future, buy Linux games from tuxgames (www.tuxgames.com).

If you want a game that runs smoothly without hassles, just as an intro to the linux gaming world, then try any of the Unreal Tournament games - they have Linux installers that ROCK.

Good luck!

You may have some difficulty finding older titles for Linux natively,... SimCity 3000, Descent 3, Alpha Centuri, and other Loki ports for example,... as they were Linux specific and you can't use the Win disks to install them with a Linux downloaded version. They are currently out of production and finding copies might be diffcult or expensive. Right when Loki went Out of Business, you could pick up copies for $10 or less. Now that's harder.

Other native games can use the Win disks and you can download the Linux binaries for them to run them,... Like Quake 3 Arena (there was also a Loki Linux version that could be turned into a Win version), Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament 2003 (includes the Linux installer on disk 3, but you might still need to patch with a download), Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Neverwinter Nights is expected to have a Linux client very soon. Myself and others are lobbying for a port of the upcomming Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, being made by the same company (Bioware) that is making Neverwinter Nights.

Still others have been released as source code and ported by fans like FreeSpace 1&2, Aliens vs. Predator, etc.

Then there are the games you can get to run with either WineX or the Wine CVS,... just don't try to get advice from DOlson on them... he hates WineX...

So there is a wide variety out there. Not every game is available, and not every genre is available. First person shooters and fantasy games tend to get ported more often. I guess the demographic is larger for those types of games. Space empire building games tend to be ported less often. Simulations and sports games are even more rare. E-mailing companies that develop games, particularly those that have Linux servers associated with the games is a good way to help improve the situation (nicely written e-mails politely asking for ports and talking about the benefits of Linux and the lower development costs using open standards like OpenGL, SDL, OSS, etc.).