Mepis Linux

axel_2078

I had MEPIS installed for about 6 months. I still use the cd for computer stuff., like when accessing another system without its os! I also use it to repair my mistakes when I am playing.

The newest version of Mepis I've used is Mepis 2004 Beta1. It's based on Debian and is pretty slick. KDE is default and it also has IceWM if I recall correctly. Optional 2.4.x or 2.6.x kernel. I booted it several times as a live CD and then did a HDD install. Very impressive installer. If I had to, I could use it as my primary distro. But I still like Mandrake better. ;)

I find that Mepis is a better distro than Knoppix to explain what Linux desktop can be. The only problem with Mepis is that it still doesn't eject the cdrom after rebooting, so you can be stuck with running Mepis over and over (if you are not careful).

Otherwise it's a slick distro, but not as complete as Mandrake (what do you expect? It's only one cd).