Starting FireFox 10

Guest Code XYZ

Guest Code XYZ

Greetings all :D, I'm using Mandrake 10 and have just installed FireFox 10 ,it seems to have installed OK and I have a FireFox icon on my desktop. But every time I click the icon to start FireFox it shows up in my taskbar as if it is loading but it doesn't start and then disappears from the taskbar. The only way I can start it is by opening my Terminal and typing FireFox then it starts. Is there a way to start FireFox by clicking on the icon on my desktop , I would be very greatfull for any help with it.

Ok

here's what you do Once you've downloaded and unpackaged Firefox.

Right Click on your desktop

File>Link to Application

application tab>browse>to the firefox shell script in the directory (usually firefox-installer/firefox) it needs the full pathway.

click on the General tab, and give it a name.

click on the big blue wheel, and you can change the icon.

Click on Ok and yer done - all in less than a couple mins.

:banana::banana::banana:

If you know how I can get hold of a desktop firefox icon - let me know B)

+++(aha - MDK10.1 has an icon - nice :jump: )+++

The above is same/similar if you want to put a link within your main menu of apps.

Edited by ChrisM

Perhaps a thought to install firefox using urpmi :

# urpmi mozilla-firefox

That will install the latest vesion of firefox and creates all the menu entries for you. If you want it on your taskbar, just right click on it and choose add application button and navigate to mozilla-firefox under web browsers.

Edit:

I assumed you have the contrib urpmi setup correctly, if in doubt check your settings via easyurpmi: http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

Edited by SpikeyKlitske

Guest Code XYZ

Thank you very much for your reply ChrisM , I have tried your suggestion and still no luck but will keep trying. After I created a "Link to Application" I did find FireFox in /usr/Lib/firefox/ and linked the file call 'firefox' but when I try starting Firefox it will appear on my taskbar and it is saying that it's loading FireFox but after about 30 seconds it disappears and no FireFox , I have tried linking it also to /usr/bin/Firefox but still no luck . The FireFox 1.0 I downloaded and installed is called "FireFox-1.0PR-2mcnl.i586rpm do you think it might be better to uninstall it and do a re installation ?

Also Thank you very much SpikeyKlitske for your suggestion as well I did go to the link you gave me and I updated my urpmi but I can only find FireFox version 0.8-14mdk when I go to Install Software.Is there a way of setting up urpmi so it will look for Mandrake software on the net as well,like some of the other Linux programs have a option to go to Web sites and look for programs. I think at the moment it's only looking for software on the 4 CD's I used to install Mandrake with

One again I would like to thank you both for your time in helping me,

:thanks:

Hello,

I know that Mandrake doesn't have the latest packages but I'am guessing that Mandrake is going for the " Stable " side.

Anyhow I searched around in rpm.pbone.net and came across this,

Click Me

I don't know if that's the latest but I'm sure it's higher than the one found on your urpmi sources. If you decide to download the rpm all you will have to do is, ( make sure that you've installed the rpm from easy urpmi, by doing " urpmi mozilla-firefox " ) Do this in the directory that you've downloaded the RPM to I would just do it to /home/username just to find it much quicker,

rpm -Uvh name-of-firefox.rpm

Of course substitute " name-of-firefox.rpm " for the actual name of the RPM when you are in /home/username just type in " ls " without the parenthesis to get the name and usually just type in the first 3 letters of the rpm name and hit the <tab> key and it auto completes the file name for you......( great tip :thumbs: )

Hope this works...Enjoy,

-Luis

Have you tried out the advice from Jet2k5?

I'm only a noob myself :banana: yeah great sometimes, other times it feels :cheeky:

Don't know why it's in the directory you've pointed at, be much quicker to send it to to Home?

If you do a fresh install this is how I've done it.

in Home, create a directory (folder) called firefox

Using Konquror (but you can use any browser you may have to hand) go to this web site and download Firefox, save it to the folder you created in Home.

When the download is complete, open up the directory and you will have an unpackaged download (mine's called firefox-1.0PR-i686-linux-gtk2+xft-installer.tar.gz but yours may be different). Highlight the icon (e.g. 1 click), this will turn it blue, then right click>Actions>Extract here.

You will now have another directory called firefox-installer, open this up and double click on the icon called firefox-installer, this will open up a Set-up box with simple instructions and you just click on the forward buttons etc. This installs firefox!

Now, you will notice in the directory, lots of new icons, simply look for the one called firefox - double click this to open up the browser.

You now know where the directory is and you know how to open the browser.

Come out of the directory, shut it down, and follow my earlier instructions to create a desktop link/icon - this should now work perfectly :banana::drum::banana:

Its not command line stuff I know, but it's still all a world away from M$ where you don't even need half a brain with a hangover to install anything, let alone even have to think about where things are and unpackaging etc. Your confidence will build up with small success stories..

Cheers

Hi SpikeyKlitske

does urpmi now download the latest version of FF ? - i think that not so long ago it was 1 or 2 versions behind. Be great if urpmi downloaded the latest.

urpmi has firefox 1.0. ;)

Guest Code XYZ

Thank you both Jet2k5 and ChrisM for your replies, yes I have tried installing it using the instructions Jet2k5 gave me and it will install but is still doing the same thing ! it will appear in the taskbar and say it's loading but then goes way and nothing happens but your help was still very useful jet2k5 because now I know how to install RPM's from the terminal so thank you very much for that.

I also tried downloading from the link you gave me ChrisM and it installs but when I click on the firefox file inside the FireFox-install file it still dose the same thing , try's to load but never dose. For some strange reason I can still open FireFox by typing FireFox help in my terminal and then it will open. It's strange why it won't load the other way, I think I will keep using Konqueror for the time being and play around with :wall: firefox and try and get it to work or in a few weeks I might try and reinstall Mandrake and then try to install FireFox again, if I work out a solution I will post it here so if some body else has the same problem it might help them fix it.

Thank you again ChrisM and Jet2k5 for your help I'm very grateful for it and I still have a long list of other questions I would like to ask about using Mandrake so I will post again.

:D

Thank you again ChrisM and Jet2k5 for your help I'm very grateful for it and I still have a long list of other questions I would like to ask about using Mandrake so I will post again. 

:D

No problemo - sorry it hasn't work out - yet.

Arctic confirms that urpmi now has the latest version of firefox, so it would definately make sense to install it from this - it'll sort all your install issues out for you.

Good to hear you'll hang in and try again. I was once advised a healthy dose of tenacity can be a good thing - certainly is true when you are faced with a niggling problem such as the one you are going through.

Again tho - urpmi will be your saviour :D

Good luck.

Edited by ChrisM

:banana: I checked the versions and like mentioned before yes its the latest. I have tried them myself and they install correctly. However the issue I am getting is that with Mozilla-firefox installed, and set it as the default for html via config desktop>file associatons>html> moved mozilla-firefox to the top, i twont load properly. Two things:

1. mozilla-firefox keeps asking at each load if it can be the default browser. I click yes, but the question keeps popping up again next time the browser is started.

2. when clicking on a link in say an email, it wont open the browser and link, instead it produces an error saying it cannot open wiith a reference to a file in my users cache.

FYI, i installed mozilla-firefox after a clean install of 10.1 OE and after urpmi set using easyurpmi

Suggestions anyone?

Hello chrism.

Did you find your icon for Firefox yet.

It has been in front of you all the time thanks to the good thinking of the Firefox team.

Go to your Firefox folder ...... look for a folder called.....CHROME.. and click on it then click on a folder called ........... ICONS.........click on it and then click on a folder called......DEFAULT .......and in there is the excellent and official Firefox Icon. It is called default.xpm

Cheers. John.

Thanks AussieJohn :thumbs:

I found it, but got it elsewhere. When I made a desktop Link to Application, a box appears on the desktop with the KDE wheel icon. Click on this and you are offered more icons, select System icons/Applications and firefox icon is there.

I am certain this was never the case with 9.2 - so was pleased to see it's offerings here in 10.1