nVidia Drivers. 2.6 on 10.1

Guest WetWired

Guest WetWired

I'm having major problems installing nVidia's latest drivers on Mandrake 10.1 with the 2.6 kernel. When I try to install them, it first complains about not having a precompiled kernel interface installed... I assume that means it wants me to install the kernel-source package, so I did. Still got the same error, even specifying the location of it. Next, it complains about the rivafb module being used with my kernel, and how it conflicts with the nVidia drivers.

It then tries to build the driver, and fails. That's about as far as I get. Has anyone else been having this problem? If so, how did you fix it?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

see This Thread for talk about that problem. particularly, post #11 for a .tar.gz file you'll prolly need.

if they still don't compile after that, try running the Nvidia installer with the --add-this-kernel option.

NVIDIA-LINUX-x86-1.0-XXXX-pkg1.run --add-this-kernel

that will create a custom installer compiled for your kernel in the same directory where you ran that command. the new installer will look like.......

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-XXXX-pkg1-custom.run

run that one the same way you would the normal one to install.

Chris

Nvidia has a c header issue, ie it is missing it. Without this file nvidia won't compile the driver. Also, on my machine after the driver is compiled and installed I still need to modify the xorg.conf and modprob.preload files before nvidia drivers load correctly including glx.

Following once more the steps in sequence:

1. Preparations:

a. Make sure you have the proper kernel-source files installed, easiest is via mcc>software

b. Get a copy of the pm.zip file mentioned earlier and unzip it to /usr/src/linux/include/linux

c. Get a copy of the latest nvidia drivers for linux .6111 is the latest thusfar

2. Start a terminal and enter 'su' without quotes to get root priviledges and provide the password

3. Shut down your X server by entering 'init 3' or 'telinit 3' and login as root

4. Change directory to where the nvidia installer is located and enter

'sh NVIDIA-linux.x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run' without the quotes

5 Modify the xorg.file by entering 'vi /etc/xorg.conf and press INS to start editing

a. change 'libglx.a' to 'libglx.so.1.0.6111'

b. change 'vesa' or 'nv' to 'nvidia'

c. press ESC and type ':wq' to safe the changes and exit the editor

6. Modify the modprobe.preload file by entering 'vi /etc/modprobe.preload' and press INS

a. add 'nvidia' on a blank line

b. press ESC and type ':wq' to safe changes and exit the editor

7. Reboot your computer.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...
The 6629 driver works fine here, too. But when I installed it, setup still complained about the rivafb module. But the nvidia driver seems to work properly... so far.

yep its only if you load rivafb as a module... this won't happen unless its

a) compiled and in your modules

B) in your X.org file

:D

Guest Chudilo

urpmi Doesn't always work correctly. I have installed the source using urpmi, (it asked me for the 3rd CD and everything and installed succesufully. It was even replying that everything is installed at the command prompt.

However, the Driver wouldn't compile for me until I reinstalled the kernel source using the GUI. Try that . See if it makes a difference for you too.

Edited by Chudilo

The Driver wouldn't compile for me until I reinstaller the kernel source using the GUI.

you can install kernel source without gui...(if you set up easy urpmi)

uname -r (will say your runningg kernel)

urpmi kernel-source-(from uname -r) should get the correct kernel source :D

OR

you can change the nvidia back to nv (in Xorg.conf in /etc/X11) and start the GUI.

gowator: no, you wouldn't need both those things to happen. All you need to do to screw up the nvidia drivers is issue 'modprobe rivafb', or have the rivafb kernel module loaded some other way (by modprobe.conf or modprobe.preload). Whether it's set as the X driver or not doesn't matter. From the other nvidia thread I'm not sure you understand that kernel modules and X drivers are *completely different* - for instance, with nvidia, the "nvidia" that is loaded by the xorg.conf file is an X module and is *not* the same thing as the nvidia *kernel* module, which is the file nvidia.ko somewhere in the /lib/modules tree. It's not the same thing being accessed separately by the kernel and X, it's two *different* things.

urpmi Doesn't always work correctly. I have installed the source using urpmi, (it asked me for the 3rd CD and everything and installed succesufully. It was even replying that everything is installed at the command prompt.

However, the Driver wouldn't compile for me until I reinstalled the kernel source using the GUI. Try that . See if it makes a difference for you too.

I never use the GUI installer.... (and actually don't have a MDK install right now :woops: )

but I think tyou need to update your urpmi sources and get rid of the Cd sources (if you have DSL)

then update your sources regualrly (either from the GUI or urpmi.update -a)

gowator: no, you wouldn't need both those things to happen. All you need to do to screw up the nvidia drivers is issue 'modprobe rivafb', or have the rivafb kernel module loaded some other way (by modprobe.conf or modprobe.preload). Whether it's set as the X driver or not doesn't matter. From the other nvidia thread I'm not sure you understand that kernel modules and X drivers are *completely different* - for instance, with nvidia, the "nvidia" that is loaded by the xorg.conf file is an X module and is *not* the same thing as the nvidia *kernel* module, which is the file nvidia.ko somewhere in the /lib/modules tree. It's not the same thing being accessed separately by the kernel and X, it's two *different* things.

Fair enough but Im not going to deliverately modprobe rivafb (after the warning)

making sure its not in modprobe.conf though is a good idea :D

mdk 10.1 , nvidia and /dev/nvidia ( post #1)

I have nvidia splash working so I guess I am ok and I have /dev/nvidia0 and /dev/nvidactl

What I don't have is the other /dev/nvida* files as requested by this site

http://www.rengels.de/computer/linux/linux-nvidia.html

mknod /dev/nvidiactl c 195 255

for nn in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ; do

mknod /dev/nvidia$nn c 195 $nn

done

chown root.video /dev/nvidia*

chmod 0660 /dev/nvidia*

2) so do I need those other nvidia1, 2 etc ?

I have a fx 5200 card

thanks for your time in replying