Motherboard and Graphic Card Issues

Guest LizardKing

Guest LizardKing

Hi there!

I'm a newbie on Linux so please be patient with me :)

I just installed Mandrake 10.0 and everything seems to work fine apart from the graphics. I have a Gigabyte GN7400 L motherboard with nForce chipset and a MSI gForce 5600 XT 256MB . I have read the FAQ about how to install the Nvidia drivers, but I'm not sure wheter I have to install the nForce driver for my motherb as well. And if I have to, do it before or after installing the drivers for the graphic card.

I'd really appreciatte you could help me with this issue.

Byez

Guest LizardKing

Ok thanks!

But wouldn't it decrease my system performance if I dont install drivers for my motherb? And in case I want to install them...where do I get them? Nvidia web page or Gigabyte?

Thanks for the help :lol:

see my post #2 in This Thread for Nvidia driver install comments. go to the "HERE" link in my comments for the install instructions.

Chris

I think we're talking about 2 different kinds of nvidia drivers here!

There are the graphic card drivers, which is what people here think qabout when they say nvidia drivers

There is the chipset driver (nForce, nForce2,...) which to the best of my knowledge don't exist in linux, everything you need is basically built in the kernel. IT's different from windows where after doing a windows isntall you end up installing the chipset drivers (nforce for via, Hyperion 4-in-1 for via, ...)

There is the chipset driver (nForce, nForce2,...) which to the best of my knowledge don't exist in linux, e

Not exactly. If you have kernel 2.6.x, then you don't need NForce driver, but if you are running kernel 2.4.x, then you will need NForce driver for the built in NIC. You may also need the NForce driver if you want support for more than two speakers.

Anyway, the driver for NForce is also located at NVidia's site. And the installation method is the same as NVidia graphic driver.

Guest LizardKing

Hey!

Well I'm a bit confused with all this information hehehe

My kernel version is 2.6 something (can't remember the rest) , so no need to install nForce drivers??

Anyway, I've read many people who tried to install nVidia drivers had to recompile the kernel. How do I know if I have to do this? And if I have to...any suggestions?

Thanks for the help guys, really aprreciate it :D

no, you don't need nForce drivers with a kernel 2.6 (type uname -r at the command line to see your exact version by the way)

Have you tried installing the nvidia display drivers? If you didn't change your kernel since you installed mdk 10 (sounds like you didn't) you should have no problems doing it. Follow this instructions in the nvidia website of in the howto section of this site.

It's really simple:

- install kernel sources. Not because you need to recompile the kernel but because the nvidia installer may have to recompile the driver (which is a kernel module, an add-on if you want) and it needs to know some things about the kernel from its source. Make sure that you instlal the exact same version of the source as the version of your kernel returned by uname -r (for example 2.6.3-7mdk)

- download the latest nvidia installer

- run the install script (you need to make sure you are out of the X graphic environement: init 3)

- answer the default to every question, the installer will likely tell you it doesn't have a prebuilt copy for your kernel, do you want to build one? asnwer yes

- after installation follow the instructions in the readme to modify your X config file

all the details are available in the howto so this is just an overview.

It takes all of 5 minutes to complete.

I had upgraded my kernel to 2.6.3-16mdk, and I tried to install version 6111 ofthe NVIDIA driver and it started failing too, so maybe that's what you'r experiencing.

Here's how I fixed, hope it works for you, it 2:00am here so I'm too tired to look for the howto but it should probably be added to it:

after failing the /var/log/nvidia-installer.log ... log told me to run "make mrproper" in the kernel directory. It turns out it is a bad idea because it gets rid of your .config file.

I removed then re-installed the source:

urpme kernel-source-2.6.3-16mdk

urpmi kernel-source

Then I ran the nvidia installer with the --add-this-kernel option:

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run --add-this-kernel

This built a special version of the installer: "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1-custom.run"

Which I then ran:

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1-custom.run

edit your X86Config as stated in the drivers readme

and everything seems now fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LizardKing

Hi there!

Well, i managed to start without the X server (took a while :)), but then when i execute the sh command for the NVIDIA package it tells me that I don't have any kernel interface and it will try to download it. I press ok and then it says it can't find any appropiate kernel interface on the ftp and that it will try to compile the kernel interface.

But then it says some error about that I don't have the kernel source package installed.

What I'm supposed to do now? Install them? and then how?

@dragonmage - both incorrect. the forcedeth module for the nforce onboard networking is in our 2.4 kernel now I believe. 5.1 channel output on nforce2 works perfectly with the snd-intel8x0 driver *if you set the volume levels correctly* and - v important! - use OSS output, not native ALSA output. star wars sounds nice on my z-5300s :P

Guest LizardKing

Ok, papa, I'll give it a try...

But do I need to run that thing that will screw up my config file or directly run the drivers with the add-this-kernel option?

Edited by LizardKing

I do it the easy way: I use Powerpack. It comes with the 2.6 nForce kernels and the nVidia graphics card stuff. Mandrake install handles that flawlessly.

I have the same mobo as the original poster. Hint: don't try to install with an Athlon XP 3000+ installed (major headache during install). Use an Athlon XP 2500+ for the installation, then you can swap cpus after (works like a charm).

The problem with the mandy install and the 3000+, is the install hangs at installing bootloader about 90% of the time.

Hello Sarissi. I hadn't heard that before. I am running an AMD3200 and have never had a problem. Or is this specific to the AMD3000 ???.

How does the CPU cause the problem with the boot loader???

Cheers. John.