Question about upgrading.

Hi there people :)

I'm considering upgrading my mdk 10.0 to 10.1.

My question is: If I've drivers and programs running on 10.0 that's newer than the drivers and programs on 10.1 will 10.1 override them? (eg. I'm running Xorg 6.8 on my 10.0 and the Xorg on 10.1 is 6.7)

Edit: Oops! wrong forum, can someone please move this one to the right forum, please :)

.:=The AI Dude=:.

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

Will you 'upgrade' or do a 'new install'? The upgrade option in the Mandrake installes is not very reliable. Many people have reported problems. Chances are that it won't work. But if there are no dependencies X.org 6.8 should not be replaced.

With a new install your / is wiped out so any software installed will be removed.

I moved this to Installing Mandrake, as this forum seems more fitting.

To add another viewpoint to your question:

Instead of trusting your upgrade to the MandrakeLinux upgrade process from installation cd's (historically unreliable) why not, when the cd's are out, modify your existing cd sources to those of the 10.1 cd's (easy to do, many of us could help you through this when the time comes) then issue a urpmi --auto-select from the command line. This will upgrade all of the packages (except the kernel, you have to do that yourself) from 10.0 to 10.1, taking into account only those packages you currently have rpm versions of installed. If you have Xorg 6.8 (tar.gz only atm, afaik) installed, and no XFree86, then you should be fine in that reguard. If you have XFree86, you might run into urpmi wanting to install xorg; but the install itself would conflict with the newer version that is already installed (and thus, the older xorg rpms wouldn't be installed)

There might be some unforseen problems doing it this way, but imo it is the easiest and safest way to upgrade.

Will you 'upgrade' or do a 'new install'? The upgrade option in the Mandrake installes is not very reliable. Many people have reported problems. Chances are that it won't work. But if there are no dependencies X.org 6.8 should not be replaced.

With a new install your / is wiped out so any software installed will be removed.

is that as in many have reported problems with previous versions or many have reported problems with this version?

I recently upgraded beta 2 to rc 1, just as a test. Now, the software is indeed raw and not ready for release, but the result was the usual disaster. So, I fresh installed. While some have done upgrade, I have never done a good upgrade off the cd's. Using rpm sources might work better.