Hp Launches Linux Laptop

Darkelve

HP is doing a test case by launching a Linux laptop. However some things are still lacking... I hate how there are always "buts" and "howevers" when it comes to Linux pre-installed computers. But at least they are testing the waters.

Read it here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/04/hp_linux_laptop/

Hmm,

Well I don't think HP makes bad computer since I own one and nothing really has broken. My modem didn't break once or something but they repaired it and did some cleaning and changed some fans or something for ' free ' but I think I was well within the ' warranty '. Anyways I do have to agree the Compaq does make bad computers. I use to own a compaq and I have never ever had soo many problems with any other computer like I had with Compaq, but since HP has bought Compaq things are turning out for them a lot.

-Luis

well...I've had a Gateway, compaq, and DELL...Gateway was by far the best...free tech support and they replaced our mobo free about 2 years after the warranty expired. Compaq has the best tech support I've ever seen...really fast...always correct...and you can actually understand them! DELL you generally get someone who barely speaks english, and they ALWAYS, try to tell you it's a virus...and our hard drive (they used a crappy WD one) died LESS THAN A WEEK after the warranty expired, and they wouldn't do a d*** thing! And our modem was screwed up....we called them about 20 times about that, ever time they said it was a virus! Whenever we got an incoming phone call, the modem picked it up and we got this really bad high pitched tone until we unplugged the comp. Still don't know what happened there...

Tech support is also becoming a pain since they are starting to move companies over to India where they pay less, altho they don't speak enlish, for example with HP when I used MSN and dial-up I got the ' BlasterVirus ' and the lady said something about sending me the patches or somthing, anyways she ended up sending drivers for my BIOS, Video Card, Sound Card and some other weird thing for my keyboard or something, They did how ever repair my computer pretty fast, Like I said I totally did not like Compaq their computers gave me a lot of problems. Dell I would of have exepted better tech support since they talk about it soo much on TV, Gateways I hear have one of the best tech supports and they do look like worthy computers. HP should just cut to the chase and put those darn computers out for sell, I think they might be wondering if doing so will upset Microsoft.

-Luis

IMHO, HP may make some dud computers, but their printers are the best.

I have 4 -- all still working perfectly -- and have never had a problem, my dad has them at work, and they are reliable and work in Linux.

And I had a HP computer and I never had any problems with it...

Um... HP and Compaq are the same company. Some of you have been talking about them as still being two seperate entitites.

Anyway, I never liked Compaq, but now that HP owns them, their laptops, etc. are much better.

HP are also a Linux-friendly company and, like IBM, deserve support for that.

This laptop, however, sucks! Why the hell do they disable hardware on it that will run perfectly on Linux? And how can they 'test' a laptop that doesn't work properly, obviously everyone wll think it sucks.

And they chose SuSe as the distribution... dang :P

Is there an official adress we can email requests for our regions to?

Edited by SoulSe