are there any urpmi alternatives such as apt?

yr2alex

This is nothing more then an inquiry.. I am not implying any dissatisfaction with URPMI. I have no issues, I have used it for all of my updates/installs thus far just want know if there is another basket to put some of my eggs in- Linux is all about choice.....

just a few simple questions

1. Is there an alternative to URPMI such as Apt-RPM? Does Apt-RPM work on MDK?

2. If so where is it available? Lastly, how to you config the source.list file to use MDK repos for pkg mgmt?

yr2alex- No Jesus No Peace conversely, Know Jesus Know Peace

There was a time when apt4rpm/synaptic worked with ML-9.1 and 9.2. Eventually broke about everything for me. The reason is that you have to use apt repos for which there were next to none for ML. So ending up using rh repos things would eventually or initially break. The only time apt every REALLY worked was when Texstar had his mdk repos. Now he has pclos which is not compat with mdk.

There's yum. Same story. Use with the expectation of breaking your mdk.

use urpmi

It probably is the best option in an RPM based distro - similarly, non-rpm packages systems work very well in non RPM based distros.

Personally, one of the reasons I don't want to return to Mandrake as my main distro is I don't like using an RPM based distro...