Tired of XMMS

Andrewski

I think when this forum description says "replacement software" they mean something else, but anyway:

I'm getting tired of XMMS and it's to the point that I either need to find another or I need to throw myself at the mercy of their mailing list to vent about the "bugs" I've found that are just plain annoying. (Oh wait, I did that and never got any replies... right.)

So what are your alternatives? I'm looking for something that can play many file types (audio and video), play them well, and that has a convenient and out-of-the-way interface (like XMMS). Any tips would sure be appreciated!

My suggestion to you: Noatun or amaroK

amaroK if you just want an audio player with playlist. It looks nice and works great, plus it's compact. And it sits in the system tray when you want it gone. I use it all the time.

Others:

JuK if you want a jukebox

Noatun: this is really nice, a bit comparable to WinAmp but much more functionality. Yes it can play video as well.

Zinf: more or less A W*nAmp clone

And, of course -if you really want to- you can use the video players like Totem or Mplayer to play audio files.

Of course, you could try to build Lsongs from source.

Oh yeah, one more:

mpg123 from command line :lol:

Edited by Darkelve

Does Rhythmbox rip as well?

I just saw Lsong on the Lindows site, it looks like it would be something I would be after.  Is the source available?

Sure:

http://software.lindows.com/emptypool//lin...ndows0.1.tar.gz

Lsongs is still in the works however, not all features are implemented yet.

Edit: I read somewhere you have to pay to get the source?? I'm a member so I downloaded it. And since it's GPL I should be able to distribute it, right? If so, I can send it to you (it's about 285kb)

Edited by Darkelve

Soulse,

I actually don't have any problems with its sound output. (I remember when I first got it going, the output was like a second off from its display and the controls; I think I was using OSS... or maybe ESD... I don't remember.) My problems are different: still uses GTK 1, hardly supports ID3v2 MP3 tags, misses a lot of features on its own, the plugins that make up for that lack are not the best written, getting answers to any questions (plugin or otherwise) is quite a pain--despite the presence of a forum and a mailing list, etc....

I use beep-media-player which is basically just a rewrite of xxms, so it works better with a lot less bugs and stuff. Most of the xmms plug-ins work with it too.

I will double that. beepmp is nice stuff.

i use rhythbox for my stuff.

as for video, ive yet to find a music player that I like that does video too. I just keep mplayer and xine for those

I use beep-media-player which is basically just a rewrite of xxms, so it works better with a lot less bugs and stuff. Most of the xmms plug-ins work with it too.

I will double that. beepmp is nice stuff.

i use rhythbox for my stuff.

as for video, ive yet to find a music player that I like that does video too. I just keep mplayer and xine for those

Videolan is supposed to be quite good:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

dunno about music files though.

Edited by Darkelve