start sounds

jeanrev

Can you help me to get some sound on my PC ?

here is the result of my investigations :

[jean@localhost jean]$ lspcidrake -v | fgrep AUDIO

trident : Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi]|M5451 PCI South Bridge Audio [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO] (vendor:10b9 device:5451)

[jean@localhost jean]$ grep sound-slot /etc/modules.conf

alias sound-slot-0 trident

[jean@localhost jean]$

[jean@localhost jean]$ /sbin/lsmod

bash: /sbin/lsmod : No such file or directory

[jean@localhost jean]$

jean@localhost jean]$ /sbin/chkconfig --list sound

Erreur lors de la lecture d'informations sur le service sound : No such file or directory

[jean@localhost jean]$

I am on MDK 9.1

thanks for your help :juggle:

First lsmod must be run by user 'root'.

Second, the service 'sound' can only be changed (on/off) by 'root'. There are different ways to do this. I usually (if I don't use the MCC) do (as root) '/etc/init.d/sound status' to see if it's on.

Now your problem. Since you have a soundcard and a driver there is every reason to assume you should have sound. Most likely there is something 'muted' in your mixer settings. So check kmix (or the mixer you are using) and check if everything 'on'.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Linux and sound:

-1- OSS or ALSA: OSS and ALSA are the basic building blocks to get sound in Linux. You need one of those to get started. ALSA is the new default in Linux so I suggest you stick with that. To see if ALSA is working do (as root) /etc/init.d/alsa status.

-2- Modules (that is drivers) for most soundcards there are different drivers or, as they are called in Linux, modules. To see how to load them with the MCC, look at my earlier reply to you.

-3- Mixers: To control the sound settings (volume, stereo, mute etc etc) you need a mixer. Again there are different mixers (kmix, alsamixer etc etc)

last-4- advanced: soundmixing. If your soundcard doesn't do harwaremixing that means only one application at a time can use sound. So if you're playing a movie, kopete can't notify someone is messaging you. For more applications to use sound you need a softwaremixer. In KDE this is arts. You have to tell an app that it must use arts for sound. Most KDE apps already do so but for instance mplayer doesn't. So for mplayer to use arts you have to give the command '-ao arts' (or put it in the conf).

Edited by devries