4th CD?

Latem

Hello, I am a new Mandrake user, but not new to linux.

I dled the 3 ISO's and burned them.

When I was installing it everything was going fine, but around 90% (or somewhere near the end) it asked for an "Installation CD 4". It also said that if I dont have it to press cancel to continue installation from there. that's what I did and installed fine and everything looks great. I am just wandering what's the 4th cd and why did it look for it.

thanks,

Latem

This question has been asked before but at the moment I can't find a thread regarding it, so here's the appropriate info:

The 4th CD is a CD that was given to Mandrake Club members only as part of their downloadable version of Mandrake 10. It is simply a CD of the RPMs which you can get from the contrib repositories. There are ways to obtain it without being a club member, but in accordance with Mandrakesofts wishes we do not allow linking to places where it can be obtained (besides, if you just add the contrib resources you've got it covered).

Thanks for reply.

I expected this would have been asked before too, so I searched but couln't find anything.

I just wanted to make sure my install didnt go wrong maybe.

cheers,

Latem

The installation look for CD4 because defaultly, the installation program assuming that you have all 4 CDs, this is happened when you choose the standard installtion. But if you choose expert installation you would have a chance to tell the program how much installation CDs do you have.

Btw, your installation is just fine, just some packages that you choose to install won't be installed if the source is in CD4.

I guess not having all the cd's is ok. Considering the fact that I only installed 2 of them 3. My third one was corrupted. I'll try to install it again, this time with a good 3rd cd as soon as I get more blank discs. Urpmi is a heck of a program or what ever it is, I have used it for almost everything that I have installed.

-Luis

Whenever I need something on the "4th CD" I just find the package I want to install with a browser in one of the Mandrake FTP mirrors, click on it, and let it install from there. That when if it needs a package not on a CD, it can find it in the FTP directory.

:P

Well, I paid Mandrake Club so I could download MDK10 OE PowePak, and I have CD's 4 and 5. AND I checked the MD5 sums to make sure they were alright. I even burned two copies of CD 4.

HOWEVER, when I'm asked to insert it to install something, neither of the CD 4's is recognized, so they are useless for installing anything with urpmi.

I can open them, search through the long list of rpms, and double click on them. BUT, if the rpm needs to satisfy a dependency by installing another rpm from the same CD4 disk, it can't. SO in this case where you need two from CD4, it again is useless.

It sometimes makes me wish I hadn't joined the Club, but just have downloaded the Personal Edition and used my broadband to get the rest.

I expected RealPlayer, Macromedia Flash, Nvidia, etc. to be in the downloadable PowerPak for Club members, but they weren't.

In additon, too many things are buggy in MDK Official Edition PowerPak, so I'm a little bitter that I wasted my money joining the club.

Maybe when MDK 10.1 comes out in October/November I will change my mind.

I do hope so, as I love Mandrake, this forum, and the P.L.F. site that is specifically for Mandrake's distros.

Hi lawsonrc.

I think you are making too many assumptions that your #4 CDROMs are burned OK. It is funny isn't it, that thousands have downloaded and installed the 4 or 5 Disk set AOK and because you cannot then Mandrake Club is at fault or Mandrake 10 is to blame.

Some posters in the past have come to realise that they needed to redownload some disks again even though they seemed to checksum okay.

And what are the "too many things are buggy in MDK Official Edition PowerPak,' or are you just repeating unnamed persons ????.

The Mandrake 10 OE that I am using is EXACTLY the same as in the Power Pack edition and so far I have only found ONE unimportant little bug which doesn't bother me at all and I have been using Mandrake10 CE since it first came out and then the Mandrake 10 OE since the first printed sets were available. If Mandrake 10 OE is full of bugs then I must be using something different.

I hope this is not an indication of how you do things normally. Give it a try again. Or next time buy the boxed set instead and then you can be more certain of the disks behaviour and you also financially help support Mandrake as well.

Cheers. John.

Heck it could even be bad memory causing the CD 4 to burn bad repeatedly. I have seen it before. OS seems to run fine, programs seem to run fine, some CDs burn ok, but others will always burn bad in the same spots. Run memtest86 overnight and it shows some bad memory. Replace the memory, CD burns fine.

This is overlooked a lot.

Edited by Dr. Ephemeron