Computer restarts

Jet2k5

Hello guys,

My computer keeps on restarting on its own for no reason. It has done it about twice in the last 5 minutes, I was just writing a post and it did it again. This is abou the 5th time overrall, I don't know whats wrong. What should I do? Also I didn't install with the 3rd cd since It didn't work so I'm guessing it was corrupted. Anyways what should I do about the quick restarts with out me doing anything, the screen goes black and then it takes me to the blue screen that you see upon boot up. Since I didn't install the 3rd cd does that some how affect the computer, or is it one of those bugs or what ever goes wrong in Linux.

-Luis

sorry If you might not understand this but please keep in mind that I'm triying to type as fast as I can before it restarts again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Hm, I do know, that computers automatically restart when e.g. a graphiccard is overheating. Are all cables in the right place? Is the power given to the hardware the right amount? Is your fan okay? Do a complete hardware scan, before tweaking the OS.

Well actually last night I removed the power saver thing, I didn't want my computer to shut down because usually I would wait for someones responce but then my computer shuts down so I turned of the power management off. Also I removed my battery for my laptop since I learned that keeping it in while you are using the AC cable can damage it and also shorten the life of the battery. But I think that it has to do with that power management, but my computer seems ok right now theres nothing running or anything just cool breeze. So what should I do if I want my computer to shutdown when it's not in use but not shut down, like just you know take a nap but still have some programs running in the background. The thing is I usually get important messages around 2:00 in the morning but when I wake up the computer kinda shuts down untill I move the mouse and then I find GAIM closed. And when gaim closes it takes down all the IM so what should be the settings?

-Luis

I had this problem too, when I brought it in they installed me a new thingy, erm... what's it called again, the "feeding" (? Dutch: voeding) for the power supply.

With the new one the problem went away...

Edited by Darkelve

for programs to continue running the system has to be up and running. the only thing you could to is set it to turn off the monitor, but the computer has to be on for you to still be connected to gaim as you have suggested.

It is most likely a power management problem - though I couldn't tell you how to fix it, as I don't know much about laptops and their power management.