Wireless recommendations?

Steve Scrimpshire

I'm looking to get a PCMCIA/Cardbus wireless card for my laptop. What I would like is info on what is the best? Preferably 802.11g. If possible, can you also post the output of cardctl ident for yours? Also, can you do a transfer speed test with ttcp? I would prefer a card that supports scanning. Also, please let me know how many channels the card has available and exactly what speeds it supports. Thanks.

Edit: I searched here and only found this:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=10048&hl=

which doesn't really have much info.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

I've had good experience with the Dlink cards and routers also.

Their tech. support actually kept me on the line, when I said I was running Mandrake Linux :D . he even helped me fix my problem in Linux. Although It was just a router setting problem and we fixed it thru the browser. I still give 'em credit for not telling me that I was out of luck because I was using Linux :thumbs:

Edited by kmc77

• 1 month later...

I bought a CNet CNWLC 811 PCMCIA card (11Mbps max) and plug into the Mandrake 10. After pcmcia_cs was installed, the card was detected in boot but failed to assign IP address. After the installation of package atmel-firmware (commercial package) and reboot, iwlist eth1 scan worked, ifconfig eth1 192.168.2.3 worked, everything worked well like magic!

Edited by hilbert

Belkin 54G Wireless Notebook Network Card.

Chip: Broadcom bcm94306

Driver: off the accompanying Win CD (with ndiswrapper 0.9)

Access status: I'll tell you as soon as I've been to a hotspot...

Work required: not minor, but full howto coming...

Price: just under 30 squid UK incl. shipping from Ebuyers

Cheapest I could find, instant PnP in Win (not that you'd care about that now...), seems to work well with ndiswrapper given the right groundwork and technique.

cardctl ident output:

Socket 0:

product info: "Broadcom", "802.11g CardBus", "4.5"

manfid: 0x02d0, 0x0417

function: 6 (network)

Not sure what the pricetag will be in US of course...

EDIT: Hotspot automatically detected, nothing more to do. That be good in my book.

Edited by Havin_it

I've had good experience with the Dlink cards and routers also.

Their tech. support actually kept me on the line, when I said I was running Mandrake Linux :D .  he even helped me fix my problem in Linux.  Although It was just a router setting problem and we fixed it thru the browser.  I still give 'em credit for not telling me that I was out of luck because I was using Linux :thumbs:

Chances are he was using (Mandrake) Linux himself... :cheesy:

Anyhow, using Linux himself or not, it still makes sense from a marketing&sales point that he helped you...

Edited by Darkelve