Linspire to offer Mandrake and Fedora!?

Darkelve

http://www.linspire.com/lindows_michaelsmi...ives.php?id=120

Extract from newsletter:

When I started Lindows about 2 1/2 years ago, many people told me I was crazy. First they mentioned how challenging it is to compete with Microsoft, and second they mentioned how Linux was too difficult to use for the desktop. My first Linux experience was with Mandrake, and I agree it was much more complex than necessary. I felt that with some work though, it could become a solid desktop product. Much has changed over the last few years and there's been great competition between a few of the Linux companies. I liken it to playing football with your cousins. Sure you want to win, but whoever wins, it's still a family victory.

Have your own Linux shootout!

Every Linux fan should be interested in seeing how well the Linux leaders compare, so they can assess how quickly the desktop products are maturing. With that in mind, we've created Linux Shootout. For just $29.95 you get digital access to 3 popular Linux products, downloadable from high speed servers. It includes everything you need to install Linspire, Fedora and Mandrake on your desktop or laptop computer.

As you will see, they're walking on a sharp edge again (talking about comparison the comparison they made themselves; guess who scores best?)...

Darkelve

Jup, saw the "shootout" this morning. I didn't know whether I should laugh or cry ...

Well, I'm a marketeer myself and used to lots of crap marketing. But this was just too ham-fisted.

-Sascha.rb

Edited by nggalai

Jup, saw the "shootout" this morning. I didn't know whether I should laugh or cry ...

Well, I'm a marketeer myself and used to lots of crap marketing. But this was just too ham-fisted.

-Sascha.rb

Well, I think it's a nice idea, but:

- I'd rather have they worked with real customers and 'stricter' rules

- They should learn to mention that they are the sponsor/owner of the website before going over to the 'conclusions'

ham-fisted ??

It would be of the marketing of mandrake wsnt done so bad....

Take for example Click 'n' Run vs URPMI....

Well Mandrke down even make a big deal over it.... its hard enough to find out about whereas click 'n' run is screaming at them ....

Mandrakes own worse enemy is itself in this.... it doesnt actually make a big deal over the good stuff!

ham-fisted ??

It would be of the marketing of mandrake wsnt done so bad....

Yup, hamfisted. Have a look at the comparison points Lindows, Inc. came up with here:

http://www.linuxshootout.com/shootout.php

And then, this:

http://www.linuxshootout.com/kit_purchase.php

So, pay $60 ($30 introductory pricing!!!!1111+) to get three distributions for your very own private "shootout," two of which can be downloaded for free. Hello?

Then post it on a web site with a name that sounds "unpartial," and there you are: ham-fisted marketing. Other companies at least are either honest enough to just put a "how does it compare?" section on their corporate web site, or are more subtle by getting a magazine to print it as an "article". This is so bad it makes Apple's G5 marketing or DoubleClick's "reports" smell like roses.

-Sascha.rb

Edited by nggalai

OK,

Im looking now and Im using the eraser... hey that forces interaction...

but anyway....

the point is $30 isnt bad for Lindows, so the others are free anyway but ive never had access probs with Linspire mirrors and Ive had lots with Mandrake over the last few weeks!

they do give 3/5 to MDK for installation and that seems about right... given the audience its aimed at.

Anyway, what im trying to say is when you install Linspire it tells you all about click n run and your sources are set up.

Mandrake don't mention urpmi or how to set it up .... if you hadnt come here would you even know about it? I only found out here btw...

it does say its lindows inc at the bottom, its not too large but its not hidden.

but mostly the difference is looking at the media test.

you can do all that in any linux but lindows does it for you.

for people who cant even configure win98 by themselves ,....

Mandrake cant play DVD's whereas Lindows can although its an extra $5. Of course you can install libdvdcss and legally if outside of America but since Mandrake dont tell you how or where how is the averge joe doe on the street meant to find out....

this is what I mean about MDK's marketing....

Fedora dont need top market, its free....

I like it. The more attention to linux, the beter.

The antivirus thing is a good joke! Only a windows user would worry about that, and only if they really wanted to be a responsible windows user!

The antivirus thing is a good joke! Only a windows user would worry about that, and only if they really wanted to be a responsible windows user!

On their product pages somewhere, I believe they do mention somewhere the point you are making here.

:juggle: "mandrake doesn't play dvd's but linspire does for an extra $5"

yes and another download!

well mandrake also plays dvd's (with another free download)

for any mandrake users just do a google search for the "penguin liberation front"

and download all sorts of goodies. :cheesy:

all neatly packaged as rpm's and ready to go!

personally i like xine with all the plugins.

but then there are loads of choices.

and don't forget you can get mandrake for free (not $30).

ham fisted or not it is all getting the LINUX word about, and as they say in advertising, any publicity is good publicity. :jester:

and any person willing to go head to head with the big M$ GETS A VOTE OF THANKS FROM ME! :thumbs:

go for it michael robertson (lindows / linspire).

me, i'll stick with mandrake, mainly because i am skint (poor) and it is free.

and it does all that i need it to do.

but i'll defend to the death your right to use any distro you like (just as long as it's linux B)