How do I get programs to load at startup/login...?

Guest darknight

you need to add the executable (or a symlink to it) to your KDE autostart directory. a couple of ways to do this...........

open Konqueror in superuser mode (you need to have root access to be able to copy from /bin directories). to do that, open a terminal su to root (type su at the prompt, then your password, then enter) then type...... kdesu knoqueror (hit enter) that will give you root powers in Konq. find the program's executable that you want to autostart, copy it, then go to your /home/(you)/.kde/Autostart directory & paste it there. (note......... the /.kde directory is hidden, so you have "show hidden files" enabled from the "view" menu.)

better (easier) method. open konqueror file manager as normal user, navigate to the /.kde/Autostart directory, click edit->create new->link to application. name it, fill in the execute command (that would usually be something like /usr/bin/nameofapp) click "ok" when done.

best (easiest) method (& you get to practice some command line to boot B) ). open a terminal & as normal user navigate to the Auotstart directory by doing......... cd .kde/Autostart (hit enter) (note......Auotstart is cap sensitive) then create a sym link to the application executable. to do so, you'd type..... ln -s /path/to/executable, hit enter. (example: ln -s /usr/bin/nameofapp).

hope that helps.

Chris

^---- Can you do that method in Gnome, too?

gnome has>gnome-control-center>Advanced>Session....or if you use startx from init 3 use an .xinitrc . .....OR use an .xinitrc called by gnome-control-center>Advanced>Session :D so that it's all in one file.

That didn't make too much sense but I added the command /home/andrew/Desktop/noip-2.1.1/noip2 to start the program, but it can't start because its needs root access to start. How do I make it logon root in the command line or an alternative way to get it to work?

I looked at popfile through RPMDRAKE and that looked like an e-mailing program.

You mean this?

Name: popfile

Version: 0.20.0a-1mdk

Size: 2748 KB

Summary: Automatic Email Classification

Description: POPFile is an email classification tool with a Naive Bayes classifier, a POP3 proxy and a web interface. It runs on most platforms and with most email clients.

http://popfile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/wik...uestions/WhatIs

POPFile classifies email into categories you define. It can sort into spam and not spam or into any number of categories you like (e.g. work, personal, important project, hobby, etc.).

The classification is done using a naïve Bayes algorithm.

Yes... someone suggested popfile and I said that was useless because its an e-mail program. I need to start-up certain applications when my computer boots.

Specifically I'm trying to start /home/andrew/Desktop/noip-2.1.1/noip2 so I add that in the gnome session but the problem is I have to be logged into root to start it so it doesn't work. Is their another alternative for a gnome-user or a way to su into root in the same command, so that it fits in the gnome session?

SwiftDeath:

I think the confusion has been caused by the original poster mentioning that they wanted the program popfile to be invoked at startup, hence Steve Scrimpshire's advice was correct for them, not for you.

If you actually follow BVC's advice and go to gnome-control-center>Advanced>Session you should be along the right lines. I personally just use the "save this session" option on logout in most cases.

• 2 years later...

There seems to be no recent thread on this subject and a dearth of information generally. Gnome evidently has a gui command for adding startup files but kde seems unable to cope with the concept.

I want bittorrent to start when I logon because it's only seeding and I can forget to open it. I've tried adding a symlink to /~/.kde/Autostart but it does not work. It occurred to me today to look at the .xsession-errors file and, lo, this:

File "/home/terry/.kde/Autostart/bittorrent", line 3809, in ?

d = DownloadInfoFrame(config,TorrentQueue.ThreadWrappedQueue(torrentqueue))

File "/home/terry/.kde/Autostart/bittorrent", line 2727, in __init__

self.mainwindow = Window(gtk.WINDOW_TOPLEVEL)

File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/BitTorrent/GUI.py", line 287, in __init__

IconMixin.__init__(self)

File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/BitTorrent/GUI.py", line 280, in __init__

icon16 = gtk.gdk.pixbuf_new_from_file_at_size(iconname, 16, 16)

gobject.GError: Failed to open file '/home/terry/.kde/Autostart/images/bittorrent.ico': No such file or directory

Error in atexit._run_exitfuncs:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/lib/python2.4/atexit.py", line 24, in _run_exitfuncs

func(*targs, **kargs)

File "/home/terry/.kde/Autostart/bittorrent", line 3799, in btgui_exit_gtk

mainloop.run()

File "/home/terry/.kde/Autostart/bittorrent", line 3767, in run

self.mainwindow.traythread.start()

AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'traythread'

Odd that kde should look in the Autostart folder for an icon.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks, scarecrow. I seem to have followed at least one of the suggestions in the Gentoo wiki.

Programs that you wish to autostart on KDE startup need to be placed into ~/.kde/Autostart
I placed the symlink for bittorrent in that location and it generated the content quoted from the .xsession-errors file. The programme is opened from a menu command without error message.

File: Example script

#!/bin/bash

/usr/bin/gaim

That mirrors the script I've written. I'll try placing the script in Autostart and report back. Thanks again for the reference. Edited by noranthon

Nope. Not a peep. I've now tried three methods all put forward and implemented by users of other distros:

1. Placed a symlink in ~/.kde/Autostart. No go. Mentioned at length in the .xsession-errors file.

2. Placed a script named .xinitrc in the user home folder. No response. Not a mention in .xsession-errors.

3. Placed a script in the same terms but named .startTorrent in ~/.kde/Autostart. Again, no reponse and no mention in .xsession-errors.

This is the content of both scripts:

#!/bin/bash

#

/usr/bin/bittorrent

I'd appreciate other suggestions.

EDIT: bittorrent started after I changed permissions of the script to rwx rx rx

Edited by noranthon