stable & without bugs ?

jeanrev

7.2? YUCK! 8.2 was the first truly stable (for most) version, where everything important actually worked.

I started with 7.0 Powerpack Edition (nothing but powerpacks for me, with one exception, 10.0 CE download ISOs). I have skipped 9.2.

I never had a stability problem with Win98 or Win98SE, except when I had a flakey RAM module installed.

Hi all,

I started Linux with the MDK9.1 last year

I changed my sources to the Internet URPMI sources lately

But :

this distro is not yet free of bugs :

1 the numlock is not loaded at boot

2 Konqueror 3.1.0 has not been upgraded automatically from the sources and has the following problems :

a) it disconnect at times accidentaly while surfing on the net

B) It cannot be steady registering a web page with pictures by the menu "tools/archiv the web page"

it registers it like *.war (this is the normal way) but sometimes like a ZIP file and we have to change its name into *.tat.gz to be able to open it or like a Kword document with the same problem

so my question is :

Is there any Linux distribution as good is now Windows 98SE which works OK (provided you don't connect it to the net ) ? ? ?

Linux seems to go from one version to the other without completing any

this is no good publicity for them !

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

the num lock issue is not a bug.

konqueror: in order to update konqueror one must update kde. to do that you must add the sources for urpmi.

konqueror disconnecting at times is an issue with the ISP more than likely. otherwise it might be a problem resolving hosts.

a zip file is a compressed file, just as tar.gz is.

kword is a word program, much like M$ word. M$ word doesnt open zip files. nor does kword. first uncompress the file, then open it in kword.

are there any distro's out there that are like windows 98? man........i hope not!!! :o :help: seriously though, as far as ease of use, your on it. its just a matter of asking questions.

how do i unzip a .gz file?

how do i add sources to urpmi?

things of this nature. thats what we're here for.

from your answers, I consider that, to-day there is no Linux match to the well known win98SE

there probably was a lot of bugs at the time but my WIN98 install CD was not pressed last year, was it ?

and Linux have had some time to build a match to Win98SE

hasn't it ?

We have to consider how thins are and not wish they were this or that

thank you for your attention

From what I read, I think you are looking for paper :P

Perhaps there are less bugs you discover in day-to-day use, but I bet it is still riddled with security holes. Imho, Win98 is an easy target for spyware, trojans, virii and wannabe hackers. In any OS, there will NEVER BE ZERO BUGS!

keep in mind that win98SE is 6-7 years old. that's not current, -at all-.

Most Linux distributions are current, and therefore -will have bugs-. This is a fact of the O/S world and should be accepted, not made to seem like a downfall of Linux - it's a downfall of -all- Operating Systems.

Since you decided to start another thread on this same basic topic, I'm going to lock this one up. Please only post once about a given subject, thank you.