bittorrent

garf

ok, i heard a lot of good things about bottorrent and the other client programs, heres the question.

can anybody tell me how to get it workin?

i followed the install instructions and tried to download a torrent file (mandrake 10.0 OE amongst others) but got nothing

to put it simply

HELP ME!!!!!!!

thanks to anyone who can offer any help

garf

p.s i will be wanting to install it on mandrake 9.2 or 10.0 OE (when i get it)

I use the Azureus client. This is a java bittorrent client that is GUI based. It is a lot easier to use (I think) than trying to figure out the syntax of the official bt client. I get this from sourceforge.

get it here(click on "azureus" under what you need, the version is use is Azureus_2.0.8.4_linux.GTK.tar.bz2)

Once you have it downloaded and have made sure that java is installed, untar and uncompress it. Once you've done that edit the file azureus (shell script).

You have to make sure the PROGRAM_DIR=/ is set to the location that you have decompressed the file to. Mine is:

PROGRAM_DIR=/home/jason/Programs/azureus/

You also have to point the JAVA_PROGRAM_DIR= to the location that you have java installed to. Mine is:

JAVA_PROGRAM_DIR="usr/jave/j2re1.5.0/bin/"

Also make sure the line ENABLE_SYSTRAY= is set to:

ENABLE_SYSTRAY=FALSE

Mine crashes if it set to anything else

Then once you have made these changes open a Konsole and navigate to the folder the shell script is and chmod it to 755 and then execute it (i use "azureus &") the & sets it as a background task so that when you close the konsole it does not close the program you started with the konsole.

i followed the install instructions and tried to download a torrent file (mandrake 10.0 OE amongst others) but got nothing

instructions ?

To install or how to use ?

You should install the rpm files that come on the Mandrake CD's. These will work with Mandrake.... others usually do not.

These are the two files to install using the "Install Software":

bittorrent-3.3-4mdk.noarch.rpm

bittorrent-gui-3.3-4mdk.noarch.rpm

To use ?

You download a torrent file the same as you would download anything else (not with bittorrent). You then double click on the torrent file and it should do its own thing... and begin downloading the file(s) you want... without having to use any strange command line stuff.

Hope I didn't missunderstand your problem. :D

For the record I downloaded my 10 OE isos using BT. It took 37 hours, and I'm on a cable connection. I don't think BT was designed with isos in mind. It was interesting to learn, but I doubt I'll use it again. I'll come back later and post what front end I used for BT. But I remember from my research that Azureus was well regarded.

I don't think BT was designed with isos in mind.

bt was designed for (massive) distribution of files without hammering the system resources. it does this by distributing the uploading work among all those that download (im sure you already read the bt introduction,right?).

if there are no additional users then bt should be on the same speed as normal FTP downloading (maybe slower by a little bit) but should get faster when there are more people downloading from the same tracker/bt file.

sorry, i havent used it yet but i do read about it often.

ciao!

Let me guess... You didn't max your upload? :wall: And you have a router? :wall:

I use the Shadow's client and I get my maximum download speed all the time. Make sure you forward ports 6881 and the next few (dependent how many downloads you have open) and max your upload at 80% (if you can upload 15kB put it at 11 or 12kB. (with Shadows I just choose connection type dialup/isdn, it doesn't effect my download speed (still 150kB) Most connections get screwed up when unlimited connections are allowed, limiting your download speed)

Most downloads start slow but after awhile you'll see the speed pick up.

Good luck.

ok i followed the instructions jdion gave to install Azureus.

i found if i dont tellk it where my java is (/usr/java/) then it works, if i tell t where it is then it dosent. When it does work i tried to get mandrake move .iso from mandrakes website, uts added to my list, but wont start downloading, any more ideas as im completely stumped on this one

garf

bt was made with anything in mind

the knoppix torrent for me downloaded in less than 15 minutes because there were so many seeders.

the speed depends on how many seeders there are.

anyway, to use bittorrent, open the command line and run

btdownloadgui.py /path/to/file.torrent

And it downloads the file. The torrentfile itself is not the file, but tells BT how to get the file.

I'm on mandy 9.2 and am trying (trying!) to download 10. College network is <expletive> and the sever cut out half way through ftp'ing the first iso. So I want to give bittorrent a go... which ports do I need to open and (more importantly!) how do I open them? I'm getting `problem connecting to tracker'. I've got shorewall running if that makes a difference...

:help:

Just maybe your college IT dept. is on to you :cheesy:

The normal ports are:

6881 to 6889

here's a page you might find helpful:

http://knowbuddy.dyndns.org:81/torrent/btc...g.html#FWConfig

or bittorrents home page:

http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/

and as a side mod note, please don't hijack someone else's thread. Just start your own. K? :D

Just maybe your college IT dept. is on to you  :cheesy:

Who, me? :devil:

Anyway, I'm getting the CD's posted, so they can breath again...

and as a side mod note,  please don't hijack someone else's thread. Just start your own. K?  :D

Sorry for that... I though it had finished and it would be tidier to use the open thread. Consider me to be hiding my diminished head in shame :D

You download a torrent file the same as you would download anything else (not with bittorrent). You then double click on the torrent file and it should do its own thing... and begin downloading the file(s) you want... without having to use any strange command line stuff.

Yes, that's so simple that I didn't know how to do at first.

Always worked fine for me ... except with the 10.0 OE. I have "got bad file info" message. I tried several time without success.

Then I tried with an other .torrent file, the CE one, to check, and it worked.

So it makes me think that the OE .torrent file that is bad.

Does somebody else had the trouble ?

Thanks

roland