Playing Audio CDs

Nazgulled

Hi,

With the default applications that come wint mandrake I can't play audio cds... the file starts playing, the progress bar is moving but no sound is outputed (yes the sound works cuz I can hear the system sounds and I can listen to mp3).

Now, I've installed XMMS and it's working fine, I just can't figure it out how to use it to play audio cds, I tried to check the official webpage for that and it was on the faq but I still can't understand what I have to do, I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

have you got the CD player muted in your sound settings?

you can check this with kmix if you're using KDE (which I think you are if I remember correctly). also aumix should work too :)

yes you can play audio cds but the first time you use xmms you have to tell them where it's located. There's a dropdown menu on the left side. I believe it's play files and then you navigate to /mnt/cdrom.

You probably need xmms-alsa

[root@localhost root]# rpm -qa | grep xmms

libxmms1-1.2.10-1mdk

xmms-more-vis-plugins-1.7.0-6mdk

xmms-crossfade-0.3.4-1mdk

xmms-more-vis-plugins-unsafe-1.7.0-6mdk

xmms-arts-0.7.1-2mdk

xmms-alsa-1.2.10-1mdk

xmms-Zon-0.04.1_beta2-8mdk

xmms-status-plugin-1.0-3mdk

xmms-nautilus-0.2-1mdk

xmms-oggre-0.3-1mdk

AudioCompress-xmms-1.5-2mdk

gxmms-0.1.0-2mdk

xmms-normalize-0.8.1-6mdk

flac-xmms-1.1.0-5mdk

xmms-1.2.10-1mdk

faad2-xmms-2.0-2plf

xmms-crystality-0.92-5mdk

[root@localhost root]#

analog has never worked for me in xmms, so try digital.

Edited by bvc

Basically, you will have to disable cd audio player plugin and install audio cd reader, you can add an url pointing to your /mnt /cdrom. Follow the steps at Dolson's tutorial. Here I installed the xmms-alsa plugin to have sound working properly (I have an external /usb sound card).

Good luck.

I've downloaded xmms-cdread from the xmms website and installed but not working...

I ahve xmms isntalled in /home/nazgulled/Programs/xmms

so I installed it like this:

./configure --prefix=/home/nazgulled/Programs/xmms

make

make install

it worked, the files are in the input plugin folder (/home/nazgulled/Programs/xmms/libs/xmms/input) but the plugin does not appear in the Audio I/O Plugins tab in Options » Preferences... what do I have to do ?

first, why a tarball? xmms-cdread is just a small lib and you're on an rpm-based distro. Also,

/home/nazgulled/Programs/xmms/libs/xmms/input

is not a dir that

ldconfig

is going look in for libs. You'd have to put it in /etc/ld.so.conf>run ldconfig>and restart xmms.

Did you see the image above? Xmms comes with a cdread. IF it doesn't work after being pointed to the correct cdrom dir and both digital and analog is tried you could then install and rpm quite painlessly and try it. I'd uninstall with make uninstall. Tarballs do not register with rpm. Or uninstall it and reinstall with

./configure --prefix=/usr

Edited by bvc