Daniel Robbins Leaves Gentoo

jlc

Daniel Robbins, founder and "Chief Architect" of the Gentoo Linux distribution, has decided to call it quits in terms of being associated with Gentoo. This was met with quite a bit of shock from the Gentoo community and developers alike, as this move was quite unexpected. Daniel Robbins also proposed the setting up of Non-Profit Organization to handle future development. Initially, he wanted to serve in the board of this organization, but he later changed his mind.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.nfp/73

Subject: Resigning from development role

Newsgroups: gmane.linux.gentoo.nfp

Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:48:49 +0000

Hi All,

As of today, I am resigning from my development responsibilities for Gentoo.

This includes my role as Chief Architect and as manager of release

engineering. I am not appointing a replacement Chief Architect. For releng,

Zhen is doing an excellent job leading this effort and I would like him to

be able to continue his work in this area.

Regards,

Daniel

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=166143

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.nfp/65

Edited by cybrjackle

That's a really surprising news.. but gentoo should be in good hands, right?

I think they will be fine, hopefully someone was shareing his vision for Gentoo and keep makeing it better.

portage-ng better get finished.

Why is everyone talking about the demise of Gentoo as if it is nigh fact??

The guy is leaving, which means one less top developer. It's not like there is no more community left, or emerge stopped working or so...!??!!

If Linus would take a break, would that mean Linux would stop existing and we'd all have to move to *bsd or (heaven forbid) MSWin...??

Of course not!

I don't think it will, to big of a community and somewere in the neighbor hood of 200 developers.

He will surely be missed, but who knows maybe he will still have a hand in it somewere. He just wants to pay the bills like all of us do.

Now If Patrick Volkerding calls it quit's on Slackware, theres a good chance it will die ;(

Now If Patrick Volkerding calls it quit's on Slackware, theres a good chance it will die ;(

Uh-oh! Somebody better warn Patrick. Although somehow I think if that happens, Cybrjackle will simply start up his own distro B)

If Slackware ever does die, I will gladly pitch in with Cybrjackle and help resurect it. I love it for server work (most everything else is so heavy - I like light servers).

Edited by youngmug

Uh-oh! Somebody better warn Patrick. Although somehow I think if that happens, Cybrjackle will simply start up his own distro B)

and another ....

and another ....

scroll bars ?