I am trying to find the DirectX of linux

I don't really know what you mean, but here are some interesting links I could find. Do you want to play games or program games?

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/to...topic_id=191450

http://www.gamespydaily.com/news/screensho...ots.asp?id=1150

http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/.../09/21/sdl.html

Cheers,

Darkelve

Edited by Darkelve

in response to darkelve, Directx is the thing that launches games on windows.  what is that "application" for linux.

Actually, DirectX is an API. Both transgaming's WineX and Winehq's WINE have directX support built in. Most of it does work, just odnt expect anything over DX8 to work at all, and DX 8 support is a little buggy. If you want to play games, use either one of these, but be warned, WineX isnt free, but includes Install-sheild system, Wine doesnt, but it is free.

I have heard the same line of bullh$t from several other people about the basic wine supporting DirectX. the reality is that with the exception of a tiny handfull of VERY old software, absolutely no direct X software will run in wine.

The only remotely usefull way to run directX games under lnux is called WineX. You can get it from http://www.transgaming.com The latest version is 3.3 and runs MANY game perfectly. DX8 support is almost final and a small handfull of DX 9 games run fine. I have tried many games that worked and many that didn't, but I have not had a single game fail due to DirectX in wineX3.3

The program is actualy "free" but you can only download the sourcecode from the CVS server for free. This of course does not include their commercial dll's, which make all the differnece in the world.

if you want packaged files that include the commercial dll's, you have to subscribe, which is $5.00 per month, minimum 3 months, so the first download will cost you $15.00 However, if they release another version while you're subscribed, it's free, and continuing your subscription is onlu $5.00 per month.

I reccomend that you subscribe, and instead of downloading WineX, download their graphical WineX manager, called Point-to-Play and let it download and install WineX for you.

Out of curriosity, what game are you trying to install?

Where I don't agree with the license, I do agree with VeeDubb's suggestion of WineX. The reason I don't agree fully with it is it seems to show to game makers that "If our product runs in WineX, why do we need a native port for Linux?"

More game makers need to make native clients of their games. It can't be that much more work, especially for games that are OpenGL and don't rely heavily on DirectX.

That said...I also have a subscription to WineX. I use it to play some games, but not many. Some of the games I have that worked fine with mdk 9.2/2.4.x kernel don't seem to run as well in mdk 10/2.6.x kernel. Jedi Knight 2 is a prime example of this. It's very jumpy and jerky on my system now. The only hardware change that was made between the time it worked fine and when it didn't was I doubled my RAM. This was also around the time I wiped XP from my desktop computer.

I use WineX for games that do not/will not have native clients, but I prefer native games.

bottom line is that there aren't enough 'linux only' users to justify it and even pay for the devel..forget the pkging. Most pc owner can just boot to windows and will continue to do so for many other reasons. Since so much $ goes into win products....who has $ for linux games? So we're freeloaders in the game devel's eyes and rightly justified.

As it has been said....winex only handles a handful of games so why bother? You still need win to run the rest of the lot.

VeeDub,

I know for certain than some DX games to run under wine, because I have ran them.

I know, but the number is TINY, and typicaly, it's only the games that use DirectX for 2D acceleration, or OpenGL games that have DX calls for just a few functions or for sound.