What is the outlook for Games for Linux?

brkville42NY

MOD NOTE: Moved from Networking to Games by LiquidZoo

As you can probably figure out by yourself, I am a huge gamer. Although I have not yet bought my linux operating system, I am planning on it. But before I do, can anyone inform me of the possible video game buys for Linux, and in the near future? :help:

thanks

OUT :headbang:

Edited by LiquidZoo

No worries about the wrong forum. I took care of it.

As for games...depends on which type of games you like to play. There are already a ton of games available for Linux, and more are on the horizon.

Here are some examples for you:

RPG: Neverwinter Nights

FPS: UT2k4, UT2k3, Americas Army, When it's released: Doom 3

There are many more. Check out http://www.tuxgames.com for a more or less complete list as of today.

:lol: i already have a PS2, but i'll keep it in mind to get an Xbox. I have heard that the Xbox is Linux compatible. :thumbs:

by the way, [replying to LiquidZoo] i have heard good things about Neverwinter Nights, is it good???

OUT :headbang:

Edited by brkville42NY

I'll get slammed but :unsure: ....get a gaming console :D

OK - not trying to start a war or anything, I'm just curious. But what is this gaming console thing that some people have going...? I seem to remember a little while Dolson talknig about wanting Pc gaming to die - what is that all about?

I'll get slammed but :unsure: ....get a gaming console :D

OK - not trying to start a war or anything, I'm just curious. But what is this gaming console thing that some people have going...? I seem to remember a little while Dolson talknig about wanting Pc gaming to die - what is that all about?

For me, that's just it. I'm into 1 player stuff and do not care for multi/online games. That seems to be changing for consoles, from what I've read, so once it's rolling what''ll you need a pc for? It's a lot more expensive for a lesser expereience. My best friend isn't into online gaming either and wanted me to build him a new gaming pc. After doing the math, he realized he could have a gaming console that'll play all the new cool games....actually buy some games, AND a new, fast, just not supersonix pc for what it would cost to JUST build the gaming pc. So if you lack $ and don't care for online/multi......get a console. That's all. Yeah but what about those that do like online/multi? It's coming to console, no? Some already have it, no? Other are sure to follow as online/multi is popular, no? So, Console

BTW, I don't have a console :lol: ....I don't even have a TV :thumbs: ...it kills the mind, soul, spirit and body :deal:

Edited by bvc

For me nothing beats multiplayer, ai is so predictable.

If you can get some good team work going on, then it is very satisfying.

And for single player stuff, i like it but i don't usually want to play the same game over and over, that makes NWN good for me. Because of all the user created levels that you can get, it extends the games play time massively.

And i like a better resolution than 800x600.

So its computer over consoles for me all the way.

And finally we have a game with good vehicle based combat thanks to ut2004!, ok i gotta go play some onslaught now ;)

The thing about console gaming is that it bites.

Look at it, the games they put out are usually over-simplified, short with lack of replyability

On the other hand many computer games i'm still playing from before linux (egads....)

Console systems also have a very poor interface. The controller is good only as far as the game is simple. Get to more complicated games like strategy or fps, u get to really mindnumbing adjustments just to not die every 10 seconds. Give me a mouse and keyboard any day of the week.

I've never bought a console system for several reasons. 1)its too expensive for the limited purpose. I primarily use my computer for games but i also websearch, write papers, program, read books (pdf etc). None of these are done with the console, or done effeciently (with the newer consoles having some capabilities with websearching).

I would do a google search for Linux Games. I've found plenty of sites that not only have free games but also comercial ports of popular windows games. Another solution is trying WineX which allows directx pc games to run in linux.

I have heard that the Xbox is Linux compatible. :thumbs:

I've heard and seen people run linux on the xbox but dont get xbox live. I've heard of quite a few people lose their linux cuz microsoft came in through their connection and deleted it. :angry:

The thing about console gaming is that it bites.

Look at it, the games they put out are usually over-simplified, short with lack of replyability

On the other hand many computer games i'm still playing from before linux (egads....)

Console systems also have a very poor interface.  The controller is good only as far as the game is simple.  Get to more complicated games like strategy or fps, u get to really mindnumbing adjustments just to not die every 10 seconds.  Give me a mouse and keyboard any day of the week.

Very good point. Doesn't seem hard, and seems obvious/likely, that when the norm is that a console has, at least a keyboard/pad (don't they have attachment already?), because of the nature of online/multi gaming that limitation will be gone though, don't ya think?