USB HD Blues

kmc77

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thanks aRTee, I think we are on to something here. Something is not connecting the new device names to the old ones.

Here's what I have done tonight with success:

1) unplug my USB CF card reader

2) removed all references to my usb devices in fstab

3) deleted the folder usb40 (for my HD) in /mnt and also the ones for the card reader

(left the one for removable... had a hunch it would need this)

4) reboot

After rebooting, I found only one line in fstab:

none /mnt/removable supermount dev=/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/part1,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850 0 0

and guess what? I open up the "removable" folder and there were my files :)

So then, I rename this folder to "usb40" and changed "/mnt/removable" to "/mnt/usb40" in the fstab.

another reboot (beginning to feel like I am installing apps in windows) and it works. I also now only have one of those harddrive icons showing up on my desktop. But of course this still don't work. It gives me an error window that says, "Retrieving data from devices is not supported", but hey it works in konq and with only one line in fstab.

I am hanging in with you kmc77...

Now to try and add my card reader back in without screwing it up again.

PS: is your zip drive working ?

Little update. I tried to set mine up the way your's is scoopy, just for grinns :cheesy: , but didn't have any luck. When I try to mount from a terminal, I get an error. (Ill have to wait till this evening to post the exact error, as I am at work right now and my laptop only has Win installed ((company prog's req.)), although, I would like to dual boot my laptop, but I'm not brave enough yet.)

Edited by kmc77

hey, you don't need to reboot after changing fstab! heretic!

No... not if your able to set things up right, but being I wasn't... IF I had it working after some changes, I would find out what went wrong after rebooting.

noauto would go in like this:

/dev/sdb1 /mnt/removable vfat noauto,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

When you tried my way... you cleared your fstab and extra folders in /mnt, right? Did it automatically write any entries in you fstab, such as the one that begins with, "none /mnt/removable supermount" ???

BTW: I think I got my problem here straitened out now and have one line each in my fstab... one for the USB harddrive and one for my USB card reader (with supermount). Can read and write to both with konq or terminal. Only miner problem left is the auto icons on the desktop. IF I try to use them I still get the following error:

"Retrieving data from devices is not supported"

I'll have to get back to you in a few hours. I'm at work on my Windows only laptop. (I'm working up the courage to try to install on the laptop)

Glad to hear your's is working better :D

Wish mine was. :furious3:

Edited by kmc77

Ok now I'm really confused. Here's the latest developments.

First, here's my fstab:

/dev/hda6 / ext2 noatime 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=udf:iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=udf:iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,sync,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/hda2 /mnt/windows ntfs ro,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0 0 0
none /mnt/zip supermount dev=/dev/sda4,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
none /mnt/removable supermount dev=/dev/sdb1,fs=ext2:vfat,--,codepage=850,kudzu,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
none /mnt/removable2 supermount dev=/dev/sda1,fs=ext2:vfat,--,codepage=850,kudzu,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
none /mnt/zip2 supermount dev=/dev/sdb4,fs=ext2:vfat,--,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu 0 0

This is the situation. If i turn my usb HD on while I am in mandrake it mounts the drive as "sdb1".

If I turn the usb HD on before I start mandrake it mounts the drive as "sda1".

If I turn it off and back on again I start getting reproduced mounts. ex - removable2, removable3, removable4, etc.

Now for some reason, when I rebooted this last time, mandrake decided to double mount my zip drive. It did the sdb1 and sda1 thing with that drive also. To this point nothing has been wrong with the zip drive. It has always been a single mount that has worked fine.

Everytime mandrake mounts another copy, the previous ones don't work anymore (I mean the zip - usb HD has never worked).

Help!!

I think I'm going to make another post for this new problem, unless you know something about this. :help:

Ok multiple reproductions of zip and usb HD issue has been solved by scoopy's remove/reboot/repeat method :lol: (it works - I swear).

The problem of Mandrake being able to read/write to the HD remains. If anyone has any other suggestions, I would appreciate the help.

You can unmount the drive with the command

umount /mnt/removable

Check your fstab for other references.. removable2 for example.Make sure yoiu catch them all..

mount -a will automaticaly mount all entries in your fstab. Not sure if this works for removables or whether you need to do a specific mount command.

Try adding umask=0 and rw into the fstab line where your removable hd is located, just like what is shown in the line for the floppy drive.

So the code should be like this

none /mnt/removable supermount dev=/dev/sdb1,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,rw,codepage=850,kudzu,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0