USB HD Blues

kmc77

Edited fstab like you recomended, DragonMage, but no change. I noticed that when I open /mnt/removable, the drive light on the removable drive flickers for a second. It's making the connection, but no files show up in the directory, and anytime I try to write (in this case, create a file) to the drive I get the following error

Any reccomendations?

post-9-1081826392.jpg

Edited by kmc77

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, I'm an idiot.

You'll notice the FAT32 issue was brought up early in this thread

As far as my case with external usb storage in mandrake, it should be supported very well in Mandrake. Usually, the HD is formatted as FAT32 out of the box in order to preserve the compatibility with windows non-NT based os (such as win9x/ME). Therefore, since Mandrake (and any linux distros pretty much) can read and write to fat32 partitions, compaitibily will not be a problem.

And my answer

Yes, it is fat32.

Well I could have sworn that I checked that when I first purchased it. I plugged the hd into my laptop (windows - have to for work) to see if there was some type of disk dammage or corruption. Everything worked fine in windows. So, I decided to take a look at it with partition magic. :wall: stupid :wall: stupid :wall: stupid.

Long story short - NTFS. Converted it to FAT32 and now everything is hunkydory :thumbs:

Funny. It seems that I solve more problems by waiting a few days and reviewing everybody's suggestions. ( :P the solution is normaly on the first page :P )

Thanks for the help all. Problem fixed. Case closed. :bvc: