How the hell do I change my resolution...?

AA

Okay this may sound really freeking stupid but I cannot for the life of me change my res.

If I use the GUI nothing happens.

If I add the resolution 1280x960 to the "XF86Config" and "XF86Config-4" files it works, BUT, if I add 1280x1024 (which I know my monitor supports) it does not work. SO, how do I do it appart from re-installing linux, but then linux is not windows and that kinda stuff should not have to be done...!! Even windows can get it right.

Personally I think that is another one of those glitches that by now should REALLY have been sorted out. The fact that you can't change the resolution of your desktop in the GUI "kontrol panel"

BTW: I am using MDK 9

You can. Mandrake Control Center>Hardware>and either Resolution (I would assume) or the Graphical Server Configuration. I don't know which one because I don't use them, and my last ML version, 8.1, just had "Display". You can also try either Ctrl>+ or -, or Alt>+ or -, or Shift>+ or -, or Ctrl>Alt>+ or -, to see if it'll do it. Sorry, I don't remember which sequence.

You can. Mandrake Control Center>Hardware>and either Resolution (I would assume) or the Graphical Server Configuration. I don't know which one because I don't use them, and my last ML version, 8.1, just had "Display". You can also try either Ctrl>+ or -, or Alt>+ or -, or Shift>+ or -, or Ctrl>Alt>+ or -, to see if it'll do it. Sorry, I don't remember which sequence.

I believe that it is "ctrl alt + or -" but it doesn't seem to work in 9.0 on all my systems.

and "dontzoom" flag is commented out so it should work.

Control center -> hardware -> resolution works fine for me

Okay... The CTRL and + or - keys is just for zooming, it doesnt actually change the desktop resolution. I want to try and change the res. Is there a file somewhere that I can edit and manually change the res.....??

But if I can't then I will try XFree864.3... Come to think of it, I am using 4.3 Comes native with mdk 9.0 doesnt it...?

Okay... The CTRL and + or - keys is just for zooming
Oh, sorry...I've heard people mention that to test resolutions.

Is there a file somewhere that I can edit and manually change the res.....??
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (back it up!)

Come to think of it, I am using 4.3 Comes native with mdk 9.0 doesnt it...?

I run 9.0

[bvc9@localhost bvc9]$ rpm -q XFree86

XFree86-4.2.1-3mdk

[bvc9@localhost bvc9]$ xdpyinfo

name of display:    :0.0

version number:    11.0

vendor string:    Mandrake Linux (XFree86 4.2.1, patch level 3mdk)

vendor release number:    40201000

XFree86 version: 4.2.1

I can't run XFree 4.2 at all because I am using a GeForce 4 mx and the drivers and many other thing just together combined with everything doesnt work

I am forced to use 4.3.

When I installed and tried to test 4.2 it failed, the only test that passed was the 4.3 test..... therefore that is not an option either...!!

I am using the nvidia drivers.

I will try Xfree 4.2

Question: How is using 4.2 going to fix my problem...?

Question2: Now I can't change my mouse driver so that I can get the wheel to work. How do I do that...?

-AA

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...1066&highlight= Here, you talked about using both the GeForce4 and the S3 Virge. I'm saying that if you want 4.2 and acceleration, then you can config XFree to just use the nvidia, while giving up dual monitors. I know nothing about dual display.

Run from a terminal;

XFdrake --expert --noauto

The first question should be about what cards to config.

For the mouse (what mouse?) run

mousedrake

the mouse config is in /etc/X11/XF86Config or -4 as well.

Mousedrake should do it but if it doesn't, this is the wheel entry

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

I have 3 buttons and a wheel. The wheel counts as 2 which = 5.

The first section is my usbmouse, the second section is my ps/2 mouse, and the third is at the bottom of the config file to point the server to the mouse configs.

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse1"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

Option "Buttons" "5"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier  "Mouse2"

Driver      "mouse"

Option "Protocol"    "PS/2"

Option "Device"      "/dev/psaux"

Option "Emulate3Buttons"

Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"

EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"

Identifier "layout1"

InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"

InputDevice "Mouse2" "SendCoreEvents"

Screen "screen1"

EndSection

As for your monitor, you need to add a set of modelines to the XF86Config-4 file to get it to add the higher resolution. Doing this manually is somewhat complicated and a real pain in the arse.

It's better (no, easier...) to select a generic monitor setting that has that resolution as its desciption, and hope that it works without cutting off any of the edges...

As for XFree86 version 4.3,... in my opinion it's a case of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I personally do not like updating or changing major pieces of my distribution manually (like kernels, graphical systems, etc.). You introduce whole hosts of problems that you won't know about until they break something you need. Besides, odd numbered editions of things are development packages, not stable releases. In which case you would need to wait for XFree86 4.4 for a supported and stable version of the on-the-fly graphics switching.

Forgive me if this does not make sense. I am not exactly sober at the moment... I have already edited the XF86Config file and it did jack!

And Xfree4.3 seems to not have hardware acceleration while Xfree4.2 does. Does that not then mean that XFree 4.4 will also not have hardware acceleration and eventually XFree4.3 will get it...??? While My current monitor does have that resolution and I have in the past run it at that res without it giving me any problems...!

This all does not make sense.

Somewhere there must be a config file of some sort that I can edit and that will give the resolution I want. If that happens to be the XF86Config or XF86Config-4 file then that is a glith the mandrake developers need to work on because I have already tried editing those files and it did SQUAT...!!

Is there another alternative.

Using a generic driver often does not give the same performance as using the specific driver...!!

Sorry,...

For the drunk...

Odd numbered releases in Linux tend to be experimental.

Even numbered releases tend to be stable and final.

Modelines are cryptic lines added to the monitor section of the XF86Config-4 file that tell the system what the monitor can do. You need to read a tutorial to learn how to edit them,... and be sober too. Trust me on that!!!

PS---

Not everything that gets into an experimental release of a Linux program makes it into the final stable release. Like a ball team with bad players, some things get cut. The 4.4 version of XFree86 will LIKELY have 3D hardware support, but there are no guarantees. 4.3 isn't finished yet... hence the odd numbered version number