Configuring other distros

Do any other distributions have tools that allow you to configure the OS, hardware and mount points (cdrw, dvd, printer, sound card, network....) Like Mandrake does? I installed :deb: Debian testing and I cannot figure out how to configure the sound card or other hardware devices,. I know all this can be done with the CLI but would rather the point and click way ya know?

The more distros I try the more I like MDK.

RH, Fedora and Libranet have debian based tools that are not free that are used to configure the operating system (Network settings, Sound card drivers, Printer setup)? Isnt that weird since RH and fedora are basically the same for now and they are pretty much a standard (using RPM based packages) for other distros and debian is in itself a standard as well? How do you install these graphical configurations utilities in RH and fedora? I have not checked out Suse but I think I will now.

I want to use a distro that will give me speed and power balanced with the ease of configuration. I have only used debian for a day now and it seems to me to be a little more expert oriented than mdk where I feel mdk is a little too newbie-ish for what I want.

:tux:

RH, Fedora and Libranet have debian based tools that are not free

No, I said after a coma

and Libranet-has a few and it's debian based, but not free.

Tools come with and are installed by default. That's the idea, rt? Linux/easy to use and configure?

In SuSE, I feel like I'm in mandrake with a different name and stuff is in different places. It does have a lot more options to tweak though in YaST. Also have to realize I've used mandrake for a long time. It's like going from 2k to xp....just a little diff/same os.

uh, yeah, Debian config is mostly done CLI. But Mandrake's config stuff are too basic anyway, like for the soundcard, mount points, so I end up using CLI.

The only time I use MCC is for MandrakeUpdate and RPMDrake...but they're quite simple. I guess I'm just lazy.

Debian has QTParted which IMO is a good GUI substitute for DiskDrake, and other stuff like mice can be configured with KDE Control Center. The rest, of course, is CLI.

well i am off to try the suse live cd.

Thanks for your input.

Just burned and tried it. I really liked it too.

One warning though: if you try to play videos and you hear sound but the screen is black, doesn't mean its not working. It means it doesn't have the codecs to play the video (you'll see that in their Release Notes). You can download those of course, but SuSe does not include them by default.

Well, I have suse 9.0 installed on my laptop. Does anyone know an easy way to get KDE 3.2 and the 2.6 kernel installed? I checked YOU but all that was listed was security updates. BTW does anyone else besides me not like the idea that suse doesnt put out a pub version of their distro untill it has been on the store shelves for a long time. Whats the deal with that?