Mandrake 10 was the last straw!

Guest 1on1

I have been decrying Mandrake's sloppy releases ever since the 9.2 fiasco. I swore that I would give them one last chance to redeem themselves by releasing a good, relatively bug-free Mandrake 10...

...and they screwed the pooch again!

I was amazed at how much nicer Gentoo was. I never realized how much better their Portage system was than the RPM system...till I installed Gentoo and had such ease updating it. Updating is an absolute dream in Gentoo.

I have used Mandrake since version 7.2, and I was afraid to try something else after getting Mandrake's quirks sorta figured out.

But, I am very, very glad that I finally installed Gentoo.

I am sorry to abandon Mandrake...in some ways. I have been a big promoter of Mandrake to people, but even though they have been told about this over & over again, they simply refuse to acknowledge their problems.

I am fed up with Mandrake's sloppiness....bye. If you keep putting up with their asinine behavior then that it your own fault. Remember this when -YOU- finally see the light. :evilmod:

Edited by 1on1

If you think that the 10 release a few days ago was the MDK 10 FINAL. your mistaken, Its really a beta or a RC version for the masses to try out.

Between now and 10 final proper ( im guessing a couple of months) there will be several hundred MBs of updates. The version they release at the same time as the boxed CDs will be the real 10 final.

Admins note.

This topic is not really an installation problem, so its been moved from the "Installing MDK" forum to here.

I think the community release can be a good idea. It gives Mandrake thorough testing of the RC series so that when the official version comes out, it will be relatively problem free. I think though they need to communicate better that the community release is not the official release.

And what's this with MDK 9.2 fiasco? I am running that and I have never had problems with it. I'd say it is the most stable yet. Not even problems with supermount. If I had to say if there was ever a release that was a fiasco, it would be version 8.1. That was a mistake!

Edited by spiedra

A lot of people have complained about how sloppy 9.2 was, personnally I never understaod why. Its worked fine for me, even the 64bit version works. And I think if you read the annoucements made by MadrakeSoft it is specifically because so many bugs are found just after release that they have adopted the Community and Official release policy. But Iphitus is right they could make it a bit clearer.

Posting from a 10.0 Community I've just upgraded from a 9.2.

So 9.2 was a fiasco, 10.0 is a crap and Gentoo is good ? very interesting. And btw what is the question ? do you want help ? do you want us to switch to gentoo ? what ?

Edited by roland

I can think of a good reason of the current naming scheme.

Nobody wants to download betas and RCs. So the world-wide testing is not possible with RCs and betas. Only dedicated people will do them and they usually know their hardware and software inside and out and knows the workarounds for their "gotchas".

This way, Mandrake will get the testing they need as well as exposure they want. This is especially good for a very experimental release like 10 CE (I mean, just after they release it, a new kernel and kde release come out).

And I am one of the people who have relatively few problems with 9.2. (other than the acpi bug in the original kernel). This is putting it in a stupid legacy-free toshiba laptop. I kept 9.2 in my laptop and was happy doing it until PCLinuxOS preview 5 came out. PClinuxOS preview 5 has just the eye candy I need to show off linux, and it is a better "client" desktop for me, but I wouldn't put it on a production server.

And gentoo is not for everybody.. Everybody raves about how easy to update gentoo is.. Well only if you have broadband and fast computer to portage the sucker. And people are having problems with gentoo, too. You just don't see it here because it is a Mandrake-centric website.

heh, I never even got 9.2 final, but I have 9.2rc2 and it's fine as well, only a few updates needed for it to be final. Sure it had 300MB of updates, both rc2 and 9.2 final did but that's normal. 10-CE already has 300MB of updates. Since I do not read all the goobly_gaw threads about the realeases I'm just now finding out it's really rc2. No biggy when braodband. Dialup? I can see the prob. Otherwise, .... :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: or go get debian/slackware/gentoo-grp :wacko: just remember that next time you can't use you pc for a day because you're updating kde or gnome and 4GB of gentoo is only 2.8GB on mandrake. :P

9.2 ran fine...a bit slow...no other problems.

Only problem I've had so far in 10.0 is it ran insanely slow...but I added a gig of swap and now it runs better than 9.2 did...sure, I needed 1.5 gigs worth of swap to get that, but hey, I only have 64MB SDRAM...what can you expect?

"4GB of gentoo is only 2.8GB on mandrake."

uh, what do you mean? still, gentoo's pretty good right?

yes gentoo is very nice.....portage is great.....and yes I rm'd distfiles, but I was limited on space at the time and couldn't justify gnome, kernel-source, and minimal devel pkgs taking up 3.8GB. What I've heard, though I deleted gentoo b4 checking for myself, is that gentoo's compile process results in huge binaries/files, which I know can happen if compiling is not done right. I do find this hard to believe in gentoo's case seeing that compiling/optimization is the purpose of gentoo. The speed factor has already been killed and simply isn't true depending on your hardware of course, not just for gentoo but even lfs. Many other factors are the reason some distros are faster than others but I'm not getting into that as I'm OT as it is. To give a clue though....debian, slackware, and lfs have been the fastest for me. Kernel/process threading, poor mutitasking, running services. Mandrake and any distro can easily do what any distro can do. They're all linux.

Complaints about how crappy rpm systems are compared to gentoo's emerge (or debians apt-get) are from people who never learnt urpmi.

With apt-get or emerge you have to, there is no other way. With mdk you can rpm too, not just urpmi.

Sure, blame the distro. Those who use it properly and have problems are those who will have problems on most other distros, since their hardware is cumbersome.

Some people keep saying that Community is not final: please wake up, it is not an rc, it is just as much final as any previous mandrake final was a final.

The official due in May is another thing altogether, and I'm sure by that time people will cry for gnome 2.6, get a broken version, and call mdk10official crap too.

Mdk10 has had way less problems than 9.2 which was quite nice too.

Remember the omission of kernel source? LG drive problems?

9.1 wouldn't boot to graphical mode with the nv driver in many cases (all 3 nvidia pc's I loaded it on)...

Some just don't have enough experience to know what is what, others have short memories. Mdk 10 CE is a better final than any other final I ever tried, mdk or not.