Drivers beware

linux_learner

http://www.wired.com/news/autotech/0,2554,...4,61412,00.html

REDMOND, Wash. -- First Microsoft set out to put a computer in every home. Now the software giant hopes to put one in every vehicle, too...........The software running their brakes will upgrade itself wirelessly.

Oh great.

And one of the car companies is Diemler, one of the SCO targets.

The first virus to hit a car and we can ALL take microsoft to court. The auto industry is nothing like the software industry. One failure and its a day in court.

There is a different version: the Windows CE to be installed in cars will only serve as information purpose - but nothing to do with driving & navigation. Either way, I am not convinced for any critical use of Windows on the road out there.

Also, I truly wonder what EULA will be presented this time.

Should the damage caused by Windows crashing liable for claims?

Or just as usual, Microsoft provides no warranty for nothing - even when OS crashing leads to horrible consequence.....

Oh great.

And one of the car companies is Diemler, one of the SCO targets.

The first virus to hit a car and we can ALL take microsoft to court. The auto industry is nothing like the software industry. One failure and its a day in court.

Not quite.

Wasnt there some US model of car that had a design fault and exploded or something. It took quite a few deaths for it to reach court becuqse there were a lot of out of court settlements.

I seem to remember the same with the GoodYear tyres...

I dunno if its in the American version but Grishams 'King of Torts' UK version lists the research he used to write the book. The corporate strategy of keeping cases out of court seems alive and well. So if MS crashes your car then expect a MS layed lawyer to turn up offereng a settlement.

Just imagine, your brakes do a Windows 98 on you? blue screen of death, for real. I think I'd rather walk, or take a bike. I just saw a Boeing F-15 cockpit flight simulator on a recent corporate exhibit...running win2k. Now, planes too?

This is not good... :end:

I'm studying to be an aerospace engineer...I'd better do something about it!