Mandrake Update & Install

keesiewonder

Last night I ran Mandrake Update and Install for everything. Since things seemed to be working fine, I shut the system down for the day, turned it on today after work, and found that my network connection was gone and that I no longer had an option to open a Konsole window from the K Start Applications.

How is this possible? I wouldn't expect a software update to alter network settings or menu options ... Would you?

I finally figured out how adjust the network configuration so I can connect to the Internet again via my cable modem. I have not been able to figure out how to get a menu option back for a console window. I know there's a utility Menudrake ... but I shouldn't have to use that to get a console, should I?

keesiewonder

I have not been able to figure out how to get a menu option back for a console window.

if i understand you

KDE control module. Right click k start applications menu. Panel menu. configue panel.

edit

somtimes after installing software i have had to use the menu editor.

post-10-1076645173.ibf

Edited by Floyd

How is this possible?  I wouldn't expect a software update to alter network settings or menu options ... Would you?

I expect only the unexpected from an UPDATE.

Don't worry too much Im sure its all fixable ...

sounds like you ended up with a half upgraded KDE....

First things, fix the network.....

If you can't for any reason open MCC then I guess do it from a CTRL+F! console and drakconfig (text based)

If you need a konsole try a run from the KDE menu and then konsole

if it doesn't work try an xterm for now.

keesiewonder........

the link scoopy provided should fix ya up. but, please note! make sure you do those steps as your KDE user, NOT AS ROOT! bonehead me learned the hard way. :o

also, don't run update-menus or menudrake as root & update that way. it will update your root menus (which are generally empty) & plop them as your user menu. made that stoopid mistake too..... :D

Chris

also, don't run update-menus or menudrake as root & update that way. it will update your root menus (which are generally empty) & plop them as your user menu. made that stoopid mistake too.....  :D

Chris

:huh:

please explain

:unsure:

i run as root. I never have anything missing from my menu. When mambers of the forum say they are, I look and am not. That's what menudrake is for, as only root can update the system menus. If you had a bad experience I can assure you it was not normal.

:huh:

When mambers of the forum say they are, I look and am not.

not sure what you mean there, bvc........ :unsure:

but, as for running menudrake as root, i did have a bad experience doing just that. least i thought it was the cause. about 2 weeks ago, i wanted to add some things to my kicker menus. normally i just right click kicker & choose menu editor. this time, not really thinking about it, i ran menudrake from terminal as root, edited my menus, saved it. when i went to kicker, everything was gone. i mean everything....not even a run command. it was totally empty. i then followed LiquidZoo's "how to" on restoring lost KDE menus, but when i renamed my ./kde directory before creating a new one, i also did that as root. after i rebooted & started adding things to my new ./kde directory from the old one (address book, bookmarks, desktop stuff, etc.) i was finding that the old settings wouldn't stick in KDE & that i couldn't change them either. what i finally figured out, was, since i renamed the old ./kde directory as root, it changed all the permissions in there to root only permissions, which weren't giving me user access when i copied them back to the newly created ./kde directory. anywho, to make a long, boring story short, i changed all the permissions in both my old & new ./kde directories back to user (chris) & had all of my orginal settings restored. so, i just ASSumed that by doing menudrake as root in the first place was the cause of my whole dilema.

Chris