window managers

mdemers883

Bascially I'd use the suck it and see approach.

You can't just try it quicjk becuase a lot are aquired tastes....

Ive tried lots but sad ole me ends up back with KDE every time on a fast enough box and flux on a slow box but you gotta just try em and see what you like.

Its all very personal like buying a car (but a great deal cheaper)

Some people like SUV's other like trucks and others sports cars. Most just get whaever seems a good price but yuoll never convert a diehard truck owner to a tiny European convertible.

Me, im natually indecisicive and when finally one of my hairbrain schemes works Ill have one of EACH!!!

However for now at least all the window managers are free....

Bascially I'd use the suck it and see approach. 

You can't just try it quicjk becuase a lot are aquired tastes....

Ive tried lots but sad ole me ends up back with KDE every time on a fast enough box and flux on a slow box but you gotta just try em and see what you like. 

Its all very personal like buying a car (but a great deal cheaper)

Some people like SUV's other like trucks and others sports cars.  Most just get whaever seems a good price but yuoll never convert a diehard truck owner to a tiny European convertible. 

Me, im natually indecisicive and when finally one of my hairbrain schemes works Ill have one of EACH!!! 

However for now at least all the window managers are free....

I guess I'll give it a try when I get out of work :D

Mark

Well I downloaded the latest stable release (tar.gz) and extracted it to my /usr/local/bin where it proceded to make a fluxbox dir. I then did a:

/.configure
make
su root
make install

and that seemed to go fine. I then restarted X and when I went to log back in I checked the list of DE/WM's that I could choose from and I didn't see fluxbox in the list. I then restarted my machine and checked again and still didn't see fluxbox. Any ideas?

Mark

most wm tarballs do not put themselves in /etc/X11/wmsession.d/ (mandrake) because how wm's/de's start can vary based on the distro. You are on an rpm-based distro, rpm's are very convenient...tarballs stink. Did ya look a flux's web-site. Homepage has a link to suse pkgs.

http://linuxsupport.dyndns.org/modules.php...&artid=2&page=1

Edited by bvc

most wm tarballs do not put themselves in /etc/X11/wmsession.d/ (mandrake) because how wm's/de's start can vary based on the distro. You are on an rpm-based distro, rpm's are very convenient...tarballs stink. Did ya look a flux's web-site. Homepage has a link to suse pkgs.

ok, I'll give taht a try :D

Mark

ok, I'll give taht a try :D

Mark

I downloaded the rpm, it was a i686. I then did a :

rpm -ivh /location/of/rpm name

that went smoothly (I had to install as root) I then restarted X (ctrl+alt+backspace) and checked my list of environments and still didn't see fluxbox. I then restarted my system and checked...still no fluxbox. Here is a list of what I have to choose from:

kde

mwm

twm

fvwm2

gnome

icewm

blackbox

windowmaker

openbox

failsafe gnome

failsafe xterm

and ideas of what I need to do?

Mark

hehe....typical fluxbox garbage....uhmm.yeah, find another rpm or figure out how suse does it and make the file yourself.

It's pretty easy really, but I don't know if suse, like mandrake, does it in /etc/X11/wmsession.d/

[root@localhost root]# ls /etc/X11/wmsession.d

01KDE  02GNOME

[root@localhost root]# vi /etc/X11/wmsession.d/02GNOME

NAME=GNOME

ICON=gnome-logo-icon-transparent.png

DESC=GNOME Environment

EXEC=/usr/bin/startgnome

SCRIPT:

exec /usr/bin/startgnome

NAME=KDE

ICON=kde-wmsession.xpm

DESC=The K Desktop Environment

EXEC=/usr/bin/startkde

SCRIPT:

exec /usr/bin/startkde

just look at several and you'll see they are the same, they just point to a diff script.

hehe....typical fluxbox garbage....uhmm.yeah, find another rpm or figure out how suse does it and make the file yourself.

It's pretty easy really, but I don't know if suse, like mandrake, does it in /etc/X11/wmsession.d/

[root@localhost root]# ls /etc/X11/wmsession.d

01KDE  02GNOME

NAME=GNOME

ICON=gnome-logo-icon-transparent.png

DESC=GNOME Environment

EXEC=/usr/bin/startgnome

SCRIPT:

exec /usr/bin/startgnome

NAME=KDE

ICON=kde-wmsession.xpm

DESC=The K Desktop Environment

EXEC=/usr/bin/startkde

SCRIPT:

exec /usr/bin/startkde

just look at several and you'll see they are the same, they just point to a diff script.

I checked around for some rpm's and couldn't really find any...except the older version of fluxbox but I guess it has a big memory leak so I would probably want to stay away from that one.

As far as those X11 files, I would have no clue as to what the hell I would be doing :lol: I'm still very much a n00b

Mark