window managers

mdemers883

I'm currently running gnome for desktop environment. I've currently seen some of your desktops and I've been drooling over them :D I've been checking out some theme sites and it seems that if you want to have a very nice theme you need a window manager :unsure: I'm not sure if I"m understanding it correctly. I see ones like fluxbox, blackbox, sawfish, etc... Do you download something like fluxbox and it runs with gnome?? As you can see I'm a bit of a jumbled mess on this, if someone could help me understand this a lil better it would be much appreciated. Thanks

Mark

in GNOME your default window manager is called Metacity.

you can run any other window manager in GNOME, and some can run on their own (fluxbox, blackbox, and various others...)

I forget how, but iphitus knows...i'll go kick him and tell him to head this way.

in GNOME your default window manager is called Metacity.

you can run any other window manager in GNOME, and some can run on their own (fluxbox, blackbox, and various others...)

I forget how, but iphitus knows...i'll go kick him and tell him to head this way.

thanks, that would be a great help :D

Mark

in gnome do

killall metacity && fluxbox

you can also do it in gconf-editor>logout and back in.

if you want fluxbox to be gnomes wm. In general, not a good idea. Rather stupid really. Metacity is made for gnome just as kwin is made for kde. Kde can also use other wm's as well but it's done differently in the startkde script.

KDE and Gnome are DE's, Desktop Environments. WM's are just window managers, but some/most have config tools, menus, or what ever that make them friendly. WM's are light on resources. DE's are heavy resource users. That's all. Play with them all.....lots of choices.

Edited by bvc

in gnome do

killall metacity && fluxbox

you can also do it in gconf-editor>logout and back in.

if you want fluxbox to be gnomes wm. In general, not a good idea. Rather stupid really. Metacity is made for gnome just as kwin is made for kde. Kde can also use other wm's as well but it's done differently in the startkde script.

KDE and Gnome are DE's, Desktop Environments. WM's are just window managers, but some/most have config tools, menus, or what ever that make them friendly. WM's are light on resources. DE's are heavy resource users. That's all. Play with them all.....lots of choices.

so using a window manager is a bad idea?? I think I'm even more confused now :lol:

so using a window manager is a bad idea?? I think I'm even more confused now :lol:

only if icons is a must-have and you have lots of idle resources in your computer (e.g. CPU, RAM, etc.).

[and now i veer to offtopic]

now come to think of it, why not just use it for something useful like distributed.net? :twisted:

ciao!

only if icons is a must-have and you have lots of idle resources in your computer (e.g. CPU, RAM, etc.).

[and now i veer to offtopic]

now come to think of it, why not just use it for something useful like distributed.net? :twisted:

ciao!

I have 1gig or ram and a 2.67ghz processor so I'm not too worried about resources :D

if I wanted to try fluxbox would I have to ditch gnome? Sorry for all the questions, I just have no clue about this area at all.

mark

no - but you could. A lot of people (myself included) use fluxbox as a stand alone.

it takes a bit of gettign used to since it's not really like gnome or KDE, but it's worth the learning curve

No. Point is, wm's not designed to run with a partiticular DE may not function correctly or very well under that de. That's all.

So one could possible work with gnome, but on the other hand it may crash it?

just try it aready :D

I can tell you that these work, at least mostly.

sawfish (old native)

metacity (current native)

blackbox

fluxbox

waimea

Some get Enlightenment to work, but I didn't go through the trouble.

Crash? What's that? :lol:

No. Point is, wm's not designed to run with a partiticular DE may not function correctly or very well under that de. That's all.

So one could possible work with gnome, but on the other hand it may crash it?

just try it aready :D

I can tell you that these work, at least mostly.

sawfish (old native)

metacity (current native)

blackbox

fluxbox

waimea

Some get Enlightenment to work, but I didn't go through the trouble.

Crash? What's that? :lol:

just so I have a couple of options bvc could you tell me how I would:

situation A) ditch gnome and run fluxbox instead

or

situation B) how would I keep gnome and run fluxbox on it?

What would you think is the best way to go about it?

Mark

You can just install the fluxbox rpm (theres a link on the fluxbox website) and it will provide the relevant entries for you to use fluxbox instead of gnome at log-in.  I wouldn't use fluxbox as the GNOME WM, thats a whole world of pain.

so once I get the rpm and install it I should be all set to go...as in when I go to log in I can choose whether I want to use gnome or fluxbox? If so that would be pretty sweet :D

Mark