Linux on the battle front

ttellefsen

You guy's are right about the whole 'negative ads' hurting MS. MOst people don't like negative ads.

Regardless of your particular political affiliation, Howard Dean destroyed his campagne with negative ads. Before the Iowa primary, he was considered a shoe in for the democratic nomination. But when they went there, he started a realy nasty slam campagne against his oppenents and what happened? He's basicaly out of the running.

MS can slam all they want, all it will do is make more companies look into linux.

You guy's are right about the whole 'negative ads' hurting MS. MOst people don't like negative ads.

And Linus Torvalds doesnt like it either. In interview after interview,he has never slated or lambasted Microsoft. The most disparaging remark was just that they make "crappy operating systems" , but thats about it. World conquest isn't on his agenda - a superb OS is certainly on his agenda.

And that's the way it should be.

The film 'Field Of Dreams' has suitable quote on this:

If you build it - they will come

Edited by kde-head

Good points in the posts above. A key point to remember about the competition is that it is "preditory". Microsoft buys up the competition when it becomes a threat and incorporates the technology into their product. What a concept...lighten the load at the R&D level.

From a buisness perspective, the only defense Microsoft has is its ability to try and sway consumers from Linux. Linux cannot be wholely owned by only one entity and that is its strength.

In order for Linux to be properly ported to the average consumer, We need to create a product that is also easy to use for the computer novice. To be frank, if we ported it today, we would be killed with support calls. Even to the the advanced computer type, Linux can be a bit difficult.

Any additional thoughts?

Yeah, see the Lindows thread!!!!

You can't support an open system like Linux.... thats the bottom line.

Strctly speaking (if we mean the kernel) there would be few supoprt calls, it just works.

There is no thing as ALSO easy to use becuase when people have the choice of 20 email clients and 5 mail delivery systems that 100 combinations.

Linux is NOT windows....

Windows in monlithic...

If you sell a Cd writing software then you need to write audio extraction/device support/writing support etc. etc. (even including mp3 creation etc.)

When you write the same thing for Linux you are just making a front end to free choice....

Your choice of cdrecord/mp3 ripper/device support is all open. (and should be)

So unless you restrict the choice of applications OR build monlithic apps there is just no way round this with few exceptions....

And the exceptions are 90% server side products.....

databases, webservers etc.

Most current linux users have no wish to see linux held back but the masses need something controlable... just a single program available for a single task.

This is a niche market (albeit probably the biggest one)

i.e if your TV tuner doesn't work with WinXX then who do you blame the hardware manufactuerer OR MS.....

Ask the same qwuesiton with Linux and too many people blame the distro or linux....

VeeDubb I've found your post about Network computer very interesting. TCPA/Palladium is part of this strategy. I think that if people were forced to pay for all the M$ stuff they have in there box, they will have 2 choice:

- switch to Linux,

- ... pay

A lot are going to pay, but a lot are going to switch to Linux.

M$ may earn even more money than now but it may lose its domination in the process.

roland :juggle:

Edited by roland

The whole thing here is MS are screwing themselves regarding Linux....

Probably 90% of home users I know have something illegal or unlicensed on their PC. Heck I know I used to.

Now traditionally Windows copy protection and encryption was trivial to crack.

90% was 10 mins with a hex editor....

Ahhh nostalgia.....

But remember field of dreams.....

I remember getting -95 and NO DRIVERS. The whole thing ran in safe mode for ages!!!

So I tried OS/2 and got drivers and no apps.

Linux has the apps, and most drivers.... it just needs critical mass.

It doesn't even need to be linux, it could be linux+osx+bsd but thats all that needed.

The whole MS network PC/home appliance thing is quite simple....

they control 100% and the masses won't buy into it until they can actually get round the encryption and hack it.

Companies are another issue, but if this was the issue then why aren't they using Linux already!

Probably 90% of home users I know have something illegal or unlicensed on their PC.  Heck I know I used to.

100% of home user I know have 100% of of the software installed on there box illegally copied, except sometime the OS they got with the box or some games they had as gift.

In poor countries it's even worse. I don't say its good, it's just a fact and I can't imagine them paying something like, I don't know $500 ?, for an Office. If they are really forced to, because of TCPA/Palladium, I'm sure that they are getting really motivated to switch to Linux at a time when Linux is going to be really useable even for Mr Joe.

Companies are another issue, but if this was the issue then why aren't they using Linux already!

I think it's already the fastest growing market for Linux. The servers first, now it starting on the desktop. IBM, Novell and SUN are going on the desktop and this will add a lot of credibility to Linux.

Conclusion: there is a lot of obvious reason to be optimistic. Just there is the TCPA thing. I'm not well aware of that. Does somebody know if it can prevent people from installing Linux and free sources software on a machine ?

roland

Probably 90% of home users I know have something illegal or unlicensed on their PC.  Heck I know I used to.

100% of home user I know have 100% of of the software installed on there box illegally copied, except sometime the OS they got with the box or some games they had as gift.

In poor countries it's even worse. I don't say its good, it's just a fact and I can't imagine them paying something like, I don't know $500 ?, for an Office. If they are really forced to, because of TCPA/Palladium, I'm sure that they are getting really motivated to switch to Linux at a time when Linux is going to be really useable even for Mr Joe.

I think it's already the fastest growing market for Linux. The servers first, now it starting on the desktop. IBM, Novell and SUN are going on the desktop and this will add a lot of credibility to Linux.

Conclusion: there is a lot of obvious reason to be optimistic. Just there is the TCPA thing. I'm not well aware of that. Does somebody know if it can prevent people from installing Linux and free sources software on a machine ?

roland

http://www.againsttcpa.com/what-is-tcpa.html

AND especially:

http://www.againsttcpa.com/tcpa-faq-en.html

25. So a `Trusted Computer' is a computer that can break my security?

That's a polite way of putting it.

I just heard that Longhorn, as being 64 bit, will mean that all the old software that users posses will no longer work (Billies eyes go $ $ ).

Nice! You buy a brand new very fast 64bit PC, but, oh, don't forget to buy a new Office, and a new package X and a new package Y, ... Well, it will probably only cost a couple of times the worth of your new PC!

Or get a very cheap (or even free if you are chep yourself) copy of a Linux distro and get a 64 bit OS with even more apps then you ever had,...

User: the choice is yours.