SuSE pre-install questions

Does anyone know how I can install SuSE without overwriting my boot config? I can't find a way to tell SuSE to not install a boot loader at all. (like Mandrake!)

Also, i can't figure out where to leave my existing partitoins as ext3f, although I can always change my fstab so that I won't get locked out!

1. I couldn't figure out the 'no bootloader' thing either :huh: . Pretty annoying. I just let it, used it (because I use grub anyway), til I installed gentoo over suse and reinstalled mandrakes grub.

2. I d/k what you mean about your fstab, but I used diskdrake to format for reiserfs and somehow (don't remember) told suse not to format. So there's is a way.

not much help, huh? ;)

See, I shouldn't do this so late. But, what fun would it be to break things while I am coherent?!

I finally found it in the install screens. SuSE is really detailed. It was right there in front of me. You change the GRUB options, and it offers lilo or no boot loader!

In fstab, I have twice now changed the characteristic of a partition to where mandrake won't boot!! If I just edit fstab so that the partitions won't mount, I'd be fine! Anyway, I found where to change the partitions to ext3, so I'm fine. Nvidia is an issue, but I am still awake!

Nvidia fixed! Suse is excellent!! Yast is superb!!! This distro is really challenging Mandrake for primary position on my box!!!!!!!

I can only tell you what I know after a few hours. :lol:

Yes, I downloaded all the iso's from our ftp.

The install is really good. There are numerous options, but offered in a gui, so you have to check it all out before making your selections. It took me a while to find the "no bootloader" choice, but it is there, as well as any choice needed for any system.

The tools found in SuSE are as good as Mandrake. They are arranged in a nice coherent way, and are readily accessable. I found that all the configuration was done without my havibg to edit any files, including Nvidia!! Someone could move to SuSE from Windex without a problem! If you do need to access config files, they are in the familiar places.

I am in kde, and intend to try gnome. I may have to look at the soundcard setup. No doubt alsa is being used instead of the standard emu10k driver.

After the install, YaST downloaded updates, although the servers that worked were all in Germany, the time was not that bad. I am now playing with installing other programs via YaST.

In short, SuSE is excellent. I am in fact suprised that they did not push Red Hat out in the US.

For me, what's to compare? When in suse, I felt like I was in mandrake but the apps/tools had a diff interface and diff names. The biggest diff for me was that acpi worked flawlessly for me 'out of the box' for the first time with this box and the 2.4 kernel. Mandrake needs the 2.6 kernel for acpi to work for this box. Also, it has gnome-2.2 and being a gnomer that was a joke. Oh, and my win2k box was seen w/o configuration :o

ftp://mandrake-forum.org/pub/Misc

Gnome in Suse is rather odd that they didn't drop in 2.4, but you can either use

ULB-Gnome which is quite nice (still 2.2) or get 2.4 from suse's ftp server or through apt4rpm.

You can follow this how-to to get apt & ULB-Gnome

http://www.usr-local-bin.org/apt.php

& if you decide to try 2.4 get them from here:

http://www.suse.com/us/private/download/gn..._9_0/index.html

Follow this README

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/suppleme...2/README_GNOME2

OR add this to your /etc/apt/sources.list

gnome2

I normally use the "leo" server from Munich in Yast and for other suse downloads.

ftp://ftp.leo.org/pub/suse/i386/

ftp://ftp.leo.org/pub/suse/i386/supplementary/ Has the Gnome-2.4 stuff

The only thing I didn't like, is the partition sizing in sectors or clusters, rather than in MegaBytes. It did not take me long to figure out the bootloader placement options. Not having it in MBR and not having hdb1 as Active Primary are extremely important to me. I use System Commander as my boot manager, in case I have to re-install Windows.

after my install of SuSE when I clicked the 'Local Network" icon I got a "libsmbclient error".

I booted to MDK and make the exact icon/link, worked like a charm.

I can mount a smbfs or ping any computer,but when I typr "smb:/" in konqueror I get the error. (also in nautilus)

Whem I upgrade to GNOME2.4 via apt4rpm my system became very unstabel. Still tryin it though.

Anyone else?