MandrakeMove is available for download

Darkelve

From the Mandrake website:

January 8th, 2004 - MandrakeMove is available for download - Everything for Office, Multimedia and Internet on a single live CD: the final version of MandrakeMove Download Edition is now publicly available for download. Make your Windows-friends discover how powerful and friendly Mandrake Linux is: this couldn't be easier than with MandrakeMove! MandrakeMove also offers a commercial version with handling of a USB stick that automatically stores personal data. Now available for purchase at MandrakeStore.

I played around with it for a while.. I think it is more geared to desktop than an all in one swiss army tool like knoppix. It feels very cut-down for me, only one program per application (such as kde for desktop, konqueror for webbrowsing, totem for multimedia, kmail for e-mail and so on). The plus is that it seems to be targetted toward international use, with the manuals and everything in multiple language. And acpi doesn't work so that means tough luck for my toshiba.

All in all, I think it is a good effort, but I prefer pclinuxos for desktop and knoppix for utilities.

I really like it for diskdrake and some other similar stuff.

This will allow me to put in a new harddrive next to my current 2 drives, copy all partition stuff that I need, then replace the main harddrive with the new one.

There is no good other alternative; to explain the situation/system a bit better:

I have a 60GB master, 120GB slave, then a cdburner and slave dvdrom.

The current mdk9.2 is on the 120GB slave ( root partition) and on the 60GB master, which I would like to replace with a new 160GB disk.

Taking one of the other drives (burner or cdrom) out in favour of the new drive would alter the config, and therefor change the settings (which are on the root partition), which might even lead to certain problems...

So my best option is MandrakeMove.

The nice thing about MM in general is that you can play dvds and audio cds, it just asks you to stop all other running programs and then you can pop in the dvd/cd. As usual, no libdvdcss is included, so only non-encrypted dvds will play. Wonder if that could be fixed with the key-version, having extra installed stuff on the key,...?

I downloaded and tried it. It does not have all the apps you have come to use from distro's like Knoppix or LinuxOS, but it is very polished, consistent and has one 'specialized' app for every need. It felt very responsive on my home system. I expect it to be especially valuable as a sort of portable Media Player, Internet Connection kit and solution in case things go wrong with 'other' Operating Systems. The only drawback is you HAVE to go with KDE so I expect performance will be more problematic on older or less performing systems.

This is actually *the* CD to demo to your friends or other people. I am thinking myself of 'loosing' a CD on/around the train occasionally. Or I think I have a better idea:

I put a leaflet suggesting they try it, explaining what it is/does and what the Open Source movement stands for. I would write this from scratch, but if it does exist, that would be very convenient. Anybody know of such a thing?

Darkelve

I downloaded and tried it. It does not have all the apps you have come to use from distro's like Knoppix or LinuxOS, but it is very polished, consistent and has one 'specialized' app for every need. It felt very responsive on my home system. I expect it to be especially valuable as a sort of portable Media Player, Internet Connection kit and solution in case things go wrong with 'other' Operating Systems. The only drawback is you HAVE to go with KDE so I expect performance will be more problematic on older or less performing systems.

This is actually *the* CD to demo to your friends or other people. I am thinking myself of 'loosing' a CD on/around the train occasionally. Or I think I have a better idea:

I put a leaflet suggesting they try it, explaining what it is/does and what the Open Source movement stands for. I would write this from scratch, but if it does exist, that would be very convenient. Anybody know of such a thing?

Darkelve

No, butI just thought of something: You put together a package and start a website, where people interested in supporting the cause can download a neat little pamphlet to print out and the ISOs for MM and then they can print their own copies with the distros and distribute... although maybe PCLinuxOS would be a better option.

:juggle:

Wanna do it? It'll be fun going Renegade... I'd be willing to do the website when I find some time. :devil:

Good idea Soulse! Although I do not think I will provide the ISO's myself, only link to the download pages.

I'm a full-time webmaster myself. No developer, but I should be able to handle a small and 'simple' site.

But if I do it, will I be developing nightmares of my site being slashdotted? :P

The hell, I I'm gonna do it!

Darkelve

Good idea Soulse! Although I do not think I will provide the ISO's myself, only link to the download pages.

I'm a full-time webmaster myself. No developer, but I should be able to handle a small and 'simple' site.

But if I do it, will I be developing nightmares of my site being slashdotted? :P

The hell, I I'm gonna do it!

Darkelve

Yay! I really want to be a part of this, I am willing to pay for a .org and will help with documentation or running an irc room on freenode (ran many rooms before) or some coding on the site, so please lemme know! Lets hook up and talk about it. Pleeeeaaasseee.

* SoulSe wants to be a renegade!

I downloaded it and tried it. I love it. Though I test many different distros all the time, I usually stick with Mandrake. This is no different. Now I have a tool that will allow me to go into a friends home and run Mandrake without adding another harddrive or installing it on their main drive. It will be easier to change the world! LOL

:afro:

• 2 weeks later...

It is so nice to see all the experts 'play' with their newly downloaded MandrakeMove. I can't even manage to make the bootable CD, and my download appears to be in good condition. If Linux wants to attract more users then why

1) can't we klutzes not download something that merely needs to be copied onto CD? Or,

2) Provide detailed instructions for all major CD burning programs used with Windows.

I have Windows XP Home, Roxio 5.3 (the instructions yield unusable CD's and Windows keeps booting). My File system is set on NTFS, but Mandrake claims compatibility. Can someone make this just a bit clearer or easier?

3) Mass mailings (snail mail) of Linux CD's might attract a good number of new Linux users. I have received software mailings in the past from ISP's, AOL was among them, I believe.

Greetings.

:wall:

there is a readme file that has all the instructions. always read the readme's. always! ftp://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distribut...rake/iso/README

Introduction

Since Mandrake Linux is an Open Source product, it needs your financial contribution. Developing a Linux distribution is very costly, so it's up to the community of users to ensure its health. Do you want to help Mandrake Linux become even more robust and powerful? Would you like to see Mandrake Linux become the next standard operating system?

Before downloading our products, we ask for your support by joining the Mandrake Linux Users Club. The Club was created to fund the development of the Mandrake Linux distribution and to pay the salaries of employees who are dedicated to "external" Free Software projects. The Mandrake Club also provides attractive benefits to its members such as specialized Internet services and download of many extra-applications:

http://mandrakelinux.com/en/club/.

Howto burn an ISO image ?

All the CD-Writing software can use ISO image to burn directly a CD-Rom.

Important note: take care to download the ISO in binary mode (FTP). By default Netscape download the file in ASCII mode which corrupt the image. You can check the integrity of the ISO file with the md5 key (md5sum mandrake.iso under Linux), go to http://www.etree.org/md5com.html to get the md5sum.exe version if you are using Windows)

Please avoid downloading the ISO with a 56K modem line. If the download

fails you can use "Resume" which allows you to continue the download. It

works with ftp (reget), ncftp, CuteFTP, Getright, ...

With Easy CD Creator:

--------------------

Open Easy CD Creator

Go to "File"

then to "Create CD from disc image"

make sure to change the bottom drop down menu ("Files of type:") to say

"ISO image files"

It will do the rest after you browse to the *.iso file

(Thanks for zacheyer)

With WinOnCD:

------------

you can select a

"track-image" project when you click the New button.  So long as you are

in track mode, not file-system mode (how that looks depends on whether

you have 3.0 or 3.5) then dragging a track image file onto the CD window

should accept it as a raw track.  WinOnCD uses .RAW as its own

extension

(Thanks Rick Jones)

With Nero Burning Rom:

----------------------

Open Nero.

Close the wizard if it is started automatically.

Go to "File"

then to "Burn Image...".

In the next dialog, click on "Image Files (*.nrg)" and select "All files

(*.*)".

Choose the .iso file and accept.

In the following dialog make sure:

- Type of Image is: Data Mode 1

- Block size: 2048

- Image header: 0

- Image trailer: 0

- All the checkboxes are unactive.

Click "OK".

In the next dialog check that the "write" and "finalize" option are active.

Click on "Write".

(Thanks Antonio Asensi)

With CD-Record:

---------------

CD-Writing HowTo:

http://howto.linuxberg.com/ptHOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO

For example:

cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=4,0 mandrake.iso

You get the number on the SCSI bus number with "cdrecord --scanbus"