Video Editing

Lord Deathscythe

I've been looking myself for the same thing. Up till now there seem to be some possibilities that are improving by the day:

1. Cinellera: I've read everywhere that it is so powerfull, but it clearly is not for the home user who wants to some basic quick editing. High learning curve.

2. Kino: I'm not able to evaluate it yet. Up till now I only work on some small video's from my still camera in mjpeg. Kino is not able to handle those (seems only to be able to have DV format as input, lots of formats as output though). This is the software I intend to use when I finally have my digital video camera. I read good things about it.

3. LiVES: This one is indeed able to work with mjpeg, so that is the one I have some (basic) experience with. The ability to rotate the movie was a feature I found nowhere else yet, and when you made the mistake with the still camera to shoot under 90° angle, ... Looks not so enormously mature yet, but a problem I had was corrected by the project owner within a day (thanks again Salsaman). Looks to me to have most of the functionality home users could wish. However sometimes work arounds are required, and documentation is not there yet. Also not optimized for big files (so watch it with DV files). Very promising though.

All three can be installed from rpm package. Don't remember from contrib, plf or other source though.

Hope this helps,

Sitor