I :heart: GNOME

chin808

Gnome is SWEET - Im ever so happy I got it running, I already like it much more than KDE. Im still tweaking and making it my home... I have a couple questions concerning metacity... I found a DARK theme for metacity thats wicked and I want to give it a go. I see that I have metacity somewhere on here but I dont know how to start it to use the theme. From what I understand its a program to theme everything including gaim- thats just what Im looking for. If Im wrong then whatever- Im sick today and my head is a mess. Also - is there a default compression utility for Gnome or should I just use Ark? When I open Ark it opens in a kde window which I dont care for... any help would be cool... or if you just want to make fun of me coz Im a super n00b thats fun too :thumbs:

Im sick today and my head is a mess.  Also - is there a default compression utility for Gnome or should I just use Ark?  When I open Ark it opens in a kde window which I dont care for... any help would be cool... or if you just want to make fun of me coz Im a super n00b thats fun too  :thumbs:

A gnome compression program? Maybe Gnozip?

You should really take 15 minutes break between hours, or 30 minutes between 2 hours... :P

lol... a super N00b! We need more of those! :thumbs:

bvc, could you do me a favor and take this oldster by the hand? I've donwload a theme to my tmp folder and then ??? How do I go about using the method you described to install new themes for my MDK 9.2 Gnome? Please take it easy on me. I'm a '60 child and all the drugs and free sex have taken it's toll on me. And it doesn't help that the drugs now are for ailment and the sex is infrequent. :D

lol

sure!

Open nautilus and browse in the left pane tree to the directory the theme is in so that you can see the theme in the right pane.

Open the gnome control center>themes>and click on the Theme Details button (or something like that).

With your mouse, click and drag the theme in the tmp folder to the Theme Details window and let go (drag and drop). You'll get a popup asking for confirmation.

Alternatively, when you open gnome control center>themes there's a Install Themes button so that you can browse to the theme and select it. Been a long time since I tried it that way. It use to not work for a lot of people though it usually did for me.

Another way is the open file-roller and put

metacity

and

gtk2

themes in

.themes

in your /home/user_name folder. Start themes in the gnome control panel and they should be there. Icon themes go in .icons. Sometimes it's necessary to restart the themes applet in the gnome control center in order to see and select the themes.

Does this help?