Ok im going 9.1...

randomnut

Hiya guys.

After glancing through these forums seeing the major probs with 9.2, im going to download 9.1. How many cd's will i need for the default install, with all the needed c compilers etc to be able to install programs from tar.gz files? Also will it work properly with onboard (SiS) sound?

Also can i have a n00bs play-by-play to make mandrake mount my ntfs c drive every time i boot and have a c icon on my desktop? I mean real n00bs, like go to this directory, then this one, then edit this file.. etc.

Also, will a Belkin F5d6050 Wireless Adapter work out of the box in 9.1 as it does in 9.2? (uses atmel chipset...so possibly includes the atmel driver?)

thanks

EDIT: Linuxiso.org doesnt seem to have 9.1 links up anymore. Anyone got a good link? On 9.2 when i went to download in download accelerator plus it came up with a whole list of mirrors, anyone got links that does that? thanks

Edited by randomnut

Guest Adriano

The download edition is 3 CDs big, and has everything you need, except for the source to all packages (but it does include the kernel sources). The third one carriest mostly i18n files, so you might not want to download it right away. You should, though, download the 300 or 400 Mb of updated packages. All of this should be ( == is) available from the mandrakelinux.com download page.

For the hardware questions, I'd advise you to check the supported hardware page on mandrakelinux.com.

Lastly, you can define the NTFS partitions to be mounted at boot during installation or afterwards with diskdrake, and it is certainly easy (at least for me) to resize them to make space for Mandrake. You will get an icon on your KDE or GNOME desktop to access your partitions. But I do not recommend to have such an easy access to a filesystem not yet totally supported by Linux. You should especially NOT TRY TO WRITE on an NTFS partition. Your best bet here is to make a small FAT32 partition to share files between Win and Lin.

Welcome!

I d/k about your hardware, but I'm curious why you think 9.1 will be less of a prob? It's give or take and based on your harware profile really. Either way, rt off the bat you're looking at 400MB of updates. Newer hardware? Go 9.2. Wireless? Go 9.2. That much I do know.

To get the C drive on your desktop, change the mount point to that when installing. Choose the custom partitioning option, select your windows partition, click on mount point, and change it to whatever you want. Once everything is installed, just left click and drag the windows folder to your desktop and choose "link here" when the box pops up, rather than move here. Pretty much like creating shortcuts in windows, just with different words, and left mouse button instead of right.

Chris

what i mean is that 9.2 wont even be able to make a boot floppy :P and has problems with onboard sound :) etc etc etc etc etc

also my belkin adapter isnt that new i think its a year or more old.

Unless you have a LG cdrom drive ( and even then you can apply a patch) there is no reason to not install 9.2

If you have dual sound, then simply disable the onboard sound. There are no major issues with 9.2, a bit of tinkering and all will be well. Or you could be lucky like lots of people and have no problems at all.

Error scenario: When creating a boot floppy from drakfloppy, it fails with an error message from mkbootdisk indicating that there is not enough disk space on the floppy.

Why: The kernel is too big so it cannot fit with the initrd and the boot loader on a 1.44MB floppy disk.

Solution: Use either fdformat or superformat on the command line (you may need to install the fdutils package for the latter) to format your floppy to a bigger format such as 1.7MB.

Is the need for a boot disk that great? Computers that don't have cdroms are in parts piles here, and the parts aren't worth the effort to remove!! Why the need for a boot disk?

The most use I have had for a boot disk was for virus removal on windex boxes.

9.1 can't make a bootfloppy either until updated. Well they say you can do it manually but it didn't work for me. That's right, 2 versions in a row.

Can we get that on the 'Mandrake infamous facts' page?

Oh...wait... we don't have an 'Mandrake infamous facts' page.

We need an infamous facts page.

:rolleyes:

I believe it's on the 9.1 errata and pmpatrick has a howto/tips & tricks to manually make a floppy for 9.1, but like I said it didn't work for me. I'm with lx. Concerning mandrake the only reason for a floppy is if you do not want to install a bootloader and wanted to boot with a floppy. Outside of that, cd1 rescue mode is far better than any floppy could ever be.

Unless you need the boot floppy because your system doesn't have a cdrom to boot from then I have found no real need for it. Just boot to the first disk in rescue mode. I use a lilo boot floppy only because I didn't feel like messing with my lilo configuration at the time.