Window Maker

Technonoid

not my style either. Tried it just for it's flexability, but nah. It's one of those, just about anybody can do something original with it or devel a new applet. Many hop on the bandwagon to then get tired of the constant config necessary to mantain and keep fresh.....because face it....it's ugly. A lot of diehard old linux hands use it and will never stop not to mention they have old machines. Same with afterstep. Also, look at the list......just guessing here but the 2 oldest have the most entries. WM and Sawfish. I think that's the main reason.

I use it exclusively - Its a very small memory FP, very fast - dockapps are easily installed (I have even written a few) and readily available.

In comparisson KDE and Gnome might be prettier but they chew up a chunk of memory and are slow.

I played with it.

I was suitably impressed by speed but I didn't have time to work out the config since i was working to a deadline.

Basically I have two internet access machines.

Ideally I'd like a fully featured broswer that runs without X.

(one machine only has 64MB RAM and if you brose other posts you can see why!)

So far I can't find a non-X graphical browser. Im willing to PAY too.

All I want is something like Opera on symbian

In the meantime i just want an X session with a fullscren Opera or Firebird.

Firebird has proven 'unstable' due to users messing with the profile or the profile being locked after they close it. Then you get the whole 'new profile thing'

I guess I could clean it up and add a delete to the lockfile when a user logs in.

I just want a window manager, no frills, no menu that start opera and closes when/if opera closes.

IDEAS ????

Closest thing I'm personally aware of is WindowMaker. It is quite nice. You'd never have to use the menu it comes with and you could give it a gray background for fast vnc connections. The bottom dockap in the upper right hand corner is a terminal, and you can just pull that up and call your progz from it. That is what I do for my server. In fact it's menu got messed up somehow but I don't much care... :lol:

At the moment Im running linux seperately on both PC's. The server is a P100 so not really capable of running multiple X sessions (in fact it doesn't have X installed - just routing, and http and other server services (mail etc))

I was VERY quickly changing them over.... tired waimia (quite nice too) and a few others BUT I'm already convinced I need to learn windowmaker

Only prob is the menu's etc. are all HACKED by Mandrake to be part of the mandrake menu's. I don't want ANY of this,

My users are nationalities and the language changes if you log in as Francaise or English or Italiano etc. and Im prefectly happy to do the config from the CLI. ;)