Power down/ACPI problems

Hashimoto

Gents,

ML92, Abit KX-333, XP1700+, ATI Radeon LE, 256MB, 60GB,

I got this problem of not getting the acpi to work. MB is ACPI compliant and worked fine with W2k. But since switching to linux I have not been able to shut down the PC without by pushing the button. Now, I'm fed up :furious3: with this and want to get the ACPI to work properly.

A slight difference I could notice in behaviour between ML9.1 and 9.2 is that with 9.1 I had to push the power button for five secs to shut down. With 9.2 this happens almost immediately. Still the system ends up with "Power down" and waits for my action.

Enabling ACPI at ML control center (acpi=ht) does not work. Neither does any combination of acpi=on/off/ht noapic/nolapic in lilo.conf/start up. The processes list shows that ACPI and daemon are always down. APM is not enabled. There is no proc/acpi/. Thus I guess the ACPI is not set up in any way.

Being a *nix-illiterate (even though using ML since two years) I need somewhat attention to get this done and would really appreciate simple instructions. Maybe I even learn something in the process.

BTW, there doesn't seem to be any usable FAQ on setting up ACPI on ML. Anybody?

Hashimoto

The "power off" situation you are describing is a bios setting on my computer, and I'm sure it is on your computer. The power down command in linux have always shut off my machines since 7.0 (I think) My machine indeed powers off whether acpi is on or off.

Part of the problem may be the motherboard manufacturer. Shutdown has not worked for me, with every mobo but the one I have now: Chaintech 7VJL Deluxe Apogee. When I went to shut down (power off) with this one, I was expecting to have to use the power button, and, was ready. To my vast surprise, mandrake shutdown the computer. Interestingly, everything on this mobo works with Mandrake. No surprise, IF you consider that the package includes Thiz Linux 6.0. Motherboard designed with Linux in mind (what a pleasant surprise this is).

With Abit, in your bios under Power Management, you'll find a "Power Button" option, or something similar. Set it to "auto-off" or "instant off" and linux will shut down and power off. While acpi settings are in this same menu of the bios, it is really a seperate function. The differences in the newer mother boards are merely the default value.

I have an Abit K7 VIA KT400 AthlonXP1900+

The only distros acpi has fully functioned for me is Debian3 and SuSE9Pro (which is awesome BTW). In ML9.1 I had to have

acpi=off noapic

in grub, and in ML9.2 the only thing that'll work is

acpi=ht

in grub. ML shutsdown completely. I just got kernel-2.6 to work in ML9.2 and have yet to try acpi. You need to have acpi AND acpid installed and set to run at boot in mcc>Services>DrakXServices. Sometimes, it's necessary to disable apmd. If all else fails, have you tried 'just' apmd? Should work. Also, though this is yet to help anyone that I've told on this board, try the command

poweroff

It's suppose to send an event to /etc/acpi/event. I used it instead of shutdown -h now, or halt, or any of the others.

Actually, to sort of echo bvc, I use two commands from a terminal: reboot, or poweroff, depending on what I want. So perhaps my method is what works.